An ally, specifically a transgender ally, is a person who agrees with and affirms transgenderism, regardless of their own gender. To be an ally means to
- Respect all people's gender expression and gender identity. Use their gender, name, and pronouns of choice. If in doubt, ask respectfully or be gender neutral.
- Don't out anyone.
- Respect privacy. Asking about genitals or surgery is never appropriate.
- Defending transgender friends from slander.
- Educating themself on basic transgender issues.
- Support the right to gender expression in the Church, community, and government
A gay ally and intersex ally are similar.