2 The liaison Sainte Cécile d'Andorge - Florac

 
With the creation of the "direct" Paris-Nimes, the Lozere was the great forgotten of the Transcévenole. Never mind! The Act of July 12, 1865, called Migneret Act, formalizing the notion of railway and local interest, the local officials did not cease to press for the creation of their own line ... The PLM company declined the offer, the line was finally granted to the "Chemins de Fer Départementaux" (Departmental Railway Compagny). With the declaration of public utility delivered in April 1904, work began immediately and ended with the inauguration of the line on  August 8, 1909.
From a station of the PLM Transcévenole (Sainte Cecile Andorge 25 km north of Alès), the rails were on a winding route of 49 kilometers through the mountains. After the culmination of the pass of Jalcestre to 1024 meters, the train "twisted" in the gorge of Mimente before joining Florac. In these circumstances, the technical choice of a metric path rather than standard gauge was required. This choice was also the announcement of a definite end.
 
The line enjoyed an unexpected early success. The General Council decided even adding a third passenger service mid-day. But the freight traffic was limited mainly to the transport of timber shoring, bound for Alès' coalfield mine.
 
However, the First World War with requisitioning of equipment reduced the operation of the line to a minimum. Thereafter, with the accelaration of the rural exodus, the traffic never recovered its previous levels.
Competition from the road and technically expired, the line was finally closed on March 31, 1968.

Driven by a 'home made' tractor diesel loco, a freight train is about to leave the station of Florac