Many people do not use Traktor because by default it does not broadcast to shoutcast streams. Shoutcast
is by far the most popular stream format used by internet radio. Traktor can only broadcast to icecast
streams. Therefore we need to setup an private icecast server and a program to convert the icecast stream into a shoutcast stream.
This document is a work in progress.
You will need to install the following software:Important note:
I recommend using the rare VIP edition because it fixes low frequency distortion problems that are present in version 3.1.11
You can install these on seperate computers or on the same computer. For the purposes of this tutorial I will assume you have installed the various software on one machine.
- First we will setup the Icecast server.
- Then we will setup Stream Transcoder to receive audio from the Icecast server and connect to another shoutcast server, for example the internet radio station.
- Then we will setup Traktor to broadcast to the Icecast server.
I might be able to simplify these configuration files but atm it's based on my actual configuration that I don't want to mess up. After setting up a testing system I will revise these to the most minimal configuration.
Edit configuration - first thing you do is change the password obviously:
Edit Ready to connect:
Edit first destination:
Edit Broadcast preferences
Now we need to make sure that our settings are working.
Traktor and icecast
- Start Icecast and click Start Server
- Start Traktor and press the broadcast button
- Back in Icecast select the Source Level Stats tab. Verify there is a source called traktor.ogg
Icecast and stream transcoder
- Make sure you have a link between traktor and icecast first
- Start Stream Transcoder
- Click connect
- Verify that the Ready to connect line will change to read Connected to source
- The first encoder line will change its status from Disconnected to Connected
- Listen to the stream to verify that you are on air.
Questions and answers will appear here.