EDU 635 Assignments
Professor Shawn Welcome
This is a personal webpage - Touro College assumes NO responsibility for its content
The Class Portfolio will be comprised of the following:
Assignments and placement order in the portfolio: ( Each assignment is listed in the order it is to appear in the portfolio). Use **header for assignments.
- A cover page [ class name, number & session, professor name, your name, and date ] ( 1st portfolio page: outside of binder )
- A dedication page: Dedicate this portfolio to someone or something. (inside binder) Use this page: 635dedication.doc
- A table of contents. Use this page: 635TOContents.doc
- A cover letter that gives an overview of the contents of your portfolio, a brief reflection on the process of putting together the portfolio [challenges, proud moments, etc]. 635coverlettertemplate.doc ( a template for writing your cover letter )A written expectation of course [what do you know and want to know from this course? ] ( KW ) Use the linked chart : 635kwlchart.doc [ Do not complete the "L" section until the end of the course]
Text: The Bilingual Special Education Interface. [ Week two Assignment ]
Assignment: Read chapter one and answer questions 1, 3, 4, & 5.
complete assignment on a header page, save to your 635 folder, and then post under in the the appropriate assignment forum on Blackboard. Due Wednesday, September 19th by 11:55 p.m.
Week three assignment:
1. Make sure that you post at least one thread responding to each one of your other classmate's assignments that are posted in the BBDB. ( Week one and week two assignments )
2. Text: Interface. Read chapter two and write a 5-7 page paper in which you discuss and critique two of the four goals of bilingual education. Be sure to discuss whether you agree with those goals and why. Lastly, explain why you think those goals can create confusion and which goals you would keep and disgard in order to help bilingual special education teachers better reach their students. Please make specific references to the parts of the chapter that you are discussing. Ex: I disagree with goal one, cognitiv development, because .... (Interface, pg. 27).
Please use the heading page when submitting this assignment.
3. Translation assignment: (My apologies for not posting it before..there will be no penalties)
635translation1.doc : pls. post it in the translation forum on BBDB. [ Thanks to Bethany for pointing out that I didn't post this ]
Week four assignment: [ The header page should be used for all of this week's assignment]
Due Date: This week I'm extending the due date. You will have until Saturday, October 6th at 11:55 p.m. to complete all assignments and respond to your classmates.
If there is anyone that still does not have the interface, please email me immediately.
1. Respond to DB# 11: What is the rationale behind the belief that the cognitive and affective development is more necessary than the cultural and linguistic approach? Do you agree or disagree?... Explain. Make sure to reference the text as you share your opinions. You are also responsible for responding to one other classmate that either has a different point of view than you or his a different spin on it than you.
2. In DB #12, share your thoughts on the following quote found in the Interface on page 27 [ top, right]:
"...Bilingual learning necessitates rethinking the entire curriculum in terms of a child's best instruction for learning, of his readiness for learning various subjects, and his own identity and potential for growth and development."
As you share your thoughts, please ponder the difference between a general education classroom and a special one. Could this statement be helpful in general ed. classrooms?; Explain.
Each student is responsible for responding to one other classmate's post. You can agree or disagree with them but you must show justification for your thoughts by referencing the text, journals you may have read, or your own experience as a teacher.
3. In DB #13, Briefly describe the four philosophical perspectives (Interface, pg 27-28) on the linguistic and cultural goals of bilingual education and share your opinion on their usage for the education of bilingual special education children.
After you've posted your own, please do not forget to respond (agree or disagree) to one other classmate's opinions.