Joseph V. Pumo E-mail: email@example.com
OBJECTIVE To offer my strong desire to teach and work with young adults by applying my degree in the science field as well as my creativity, motivational skills, knowledge of computer operations, and practical experience with a variety of laboratory procedures.
EDUCATION Master of Science, Childhood Education and Special Education (grades 5-9)
Touro College, Bay Shore, NY (Expected Graduation Summer 2009)
· Cumulative GPA- 3.9
Bachelor of Science, Biology Teaching, Manhattan College, Riverdale, NY, (2006).
· Awarded membership to Epsilon Sigma Pi Honor Society
· Named to the Dean’s List in recognition of academic achievements for eight semesters.
· Maintained 4.0 GPA in Major Classes; Overall GPA: 3.7
· Awarded Presidential Academic Scholarship
· Member of the Manhattan College Soccer Team (2002-2006)
· Team Captain (2004-2006)
· Named to the MAAC All-Academic Team (2003-2006)
EXPERIENCE LIFE SCIENCE TEACHER. John W. Dodd Middle School,
Freeport, NY 11520 (2006-Present)
· Designed and prepared differentiated lesson plans to meet the needs of a diverse population of adolescents.
· Collaborated with the cooperating Special Education teacher in an inclusive setting.
· Incorporated technology, such as the Smart Board and Powerpoint, into the classroom.
· Developed a curriculum map for the 7th grade Life Science curriculum.
· Graded 8th grade Science Assessment and Earth Science Regents exams.
· Assisted in the development of the annual Science Fair.
· Attended National Science Conference in St. Louis, to improve teaching techniques.
LIFE SCIENCE SUMMER SCHOOL TEACHER. Dodd Middle School.
Freeport, NY, (2006, 2007)
· Provided remedial instruction for students in danger of failing.
STUDENT TEACHER. Dewitt Clinton High School, Bronx, NY. (2006)
Eastchester Middle School, Eastchester, NY (2006)
· Collaborated with cooperating teacher to design engaging lesson plans.
ACTIVITIES GENTS CLUB ADVISOR. Dodd Middle School, Freeport, NY. (2007-2008)
· Addressed common issues facing young men in today’s society.
· Organized events and trips for the entire club.
EARLY COLLEGE AWARENESS COMMITTEE. Dodd Middle School
Freeport, NY (2007-2008)
· Helped develop student’s awareness of the benefits of college.
· Advised students on the NCAA requirements to receive athletic scholarships.
· Motivational Speaker at SUNY Old Westbury convention.
EXPERIENCE J.V. GIRLS SOCCER. Freeport High School, Freeport, NY. (Fall 2007)
MODIFIED WRESTLING ASSISTANT Dodd Middle School, Freeport, NY(2007-08)
MODIFIED BASEBALL. Dodd Middle School, Freeport, NY. (Spring 2008)
MODIFIED COED TRACK. Dodd Middle School, Freeport, NY. (Spring 2007)
· Designed clear and effective practice plans that focused on improving the athlete’s skills.
· Organized scrimmages to supplement the scheduled games.
· Demonstrated proper first aid procedures when necessary.
· Established good parent-coach communication through the use of contracts and monthly schedules.
ASSISTANT COACH. Oceanside United Soccer Club, Oceanside, NY (2000).
· Volunteered helping special needs children learn the game of soccer.
SKILLS Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Windows XP, Smart Board, Internet Research, and video streaming.
CERTIFICATION New York State- Biology 7-12. Certification Number- 1505655
Certified in First Aid and CPR
Coaching certification (In progress)
PERSONAL I am a highly motivated young professional possessing leadership quality. I consider myself responsible, enthusiastic, and a team player.
REFERENCES Furnished upon request.