Dr. Gonzalo Alvarez
Referred Publications and Preprints (2002-present)2011
- G. Alvarez, L. G. G. V. Dias da Silva, E. Ponce, E. Dagotto,
Time Evolution with the DMRG Algorithm: A Generic Implementation for Strongly Correlated Electronic Systems,
- C. Sen, G. Alvarez, E. Dagotto, Unveiling First Order CMR Transitions in the Two-Orbital Model for Manganites, arXiv:1007.3904.
- G. Alvarez, Implementation of the SU(2) Hamiltonian Symmetry for the DMRG Algorithm, arXiv:1003.1919.
- J. C. Xavier, G. Alvarez, A. Moreo, E. Dagotto, Coexistence of Pairing Tendencies and Ferromagnetism in a Doped Two-Orbital Hubbard Model on Two-Leg Ladders, arXiv:1001.3097 or Phys. Rev. B 81 085106 (2010).
- T.A. Maier, G. Alvarez, M. Summers, T.C. Schulthess, Enhancement of superconductivity in a striped 2D Hubbard model, arXiv:0912.2092 or Phys. Rev. Lett. 104 247001 (2010).
- Phani K. V. V. Nukala, Thomas A. Maier, Michael S. Summers, Gonzalo Alvarez, and Thomas C. Schulthess, Fast update algorithm for the quantum Monte Carlo simulation of the Hubbard model, Phys. Rev. B 80 195111 (2009).
- Juan Salafranca, Gonzalo Alvarez, Elbio Dagotto, Electron-lattice coupling and partial nesting as the origin of Fermi-Arcs in manganites , arXiv:0907.4343 (2009) or Phys. Rev. B 80 155133 (2009).
- I. A. Merkulov, G. Alvarez, D. R. Yakovlev, T. C. Schulthess, Long-term Dynamics of the Electron-nuclear Spin System of a Semiconductor Quantum Dot, arXiv:0907.2661 or Phys. Rev. B 81 115107 (2010)
- Jeremy S. Meredith, Gonzalo Alvarez, Thomas A. Maier, Thomas C. Schulthess and Jeffrey S. Vetter, Accuracy and performance of graphics processors: A Quantum Monte Carlo application case study, Parallel Computing, 35, 151 (2009)
- Gordon Bell paper: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1413370.1413433 (2008) New algorithm to enable 400+ TFlop/s sustained performance in simulations of disorder effects in high-Tc superconductors
- G. Alvarez, The Density Matrix Renormalization Group for Strongly Correlated Electron Systems: A Generic Implementation, arXiv:0902.3185 (2009) or Computer Physics Communications 180 (2009) 1572-1578. Devel. source code is here
- J.T. Haraldsen, M. Swanson, G. Alvarez, R. S. Fishman, Spin-Wave Instabilities and Non-Collinear Magnetic Phases of a Geometrically-Frustrated Triangular-Lattice Antiferromagnet, arXiv:0901.2336 (2009) or Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 237204 (2009).
- Shuai Dong, Rong Yu, Seiji Yunoki, Gonzalo Alvarez, J.-M. Liu, Elbio Dagotto, Metal-insulator transition in (LaMnO3)2n/(SrMnO3)n superlattices, arXiv:0810.1441 or Phys. Rev. B 78, 201102, 2008.
- G. Alvarez and E. Dagotto, Fermi Arcs in the Superconducting Clustered State for Underdoped Cuprates, arXiv:0802.3394 or Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 177001, 2008.
- Rong Yu, Shuai Dong, Cengiz Sen, Gonzalo Alvarez, Elbio Dagotto, Study of Short-distance Spin and Charge Correlations and Local Density-of-States in the CMR regime of the One-Orbital Model for Manganites, Phys. Rev. B 77, 214434 (2008) or arXiv:0802.3382.
- A. Moreo, Y Yildirim and G. Alvarez, Multi-Orbital Lattice Model for (Ga,Mn)As and Other Lightly Magnetically Doped Zinc-Blende-Type Semiconductors arXiv:0710.0577.
- G. Alvarez, P. K. V. V. Nukala, and E. D'Azevedo, Fast Diagonalisation of Evolving Matrices: Application to Spin-Fermion Models, J. Stat. Mech. (2007) P08007.
- Cengiz Sen, Gonzalo Alvarez, Elbio Dagotto, Competing Ferromagnetic and Charge-Ordered States in Models for Manganites: the Origin of the CMR Effect, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 127202 (2007) or cond-mat/0702426 (2007). (This article has been included in the April 2, 2007 version of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology.)
- Yucel Yildirim, Gonzalo Alvarez, Adriana Moreo, Elbio Dagotto, Large-Scale Monte Carlo Study of a Realistic Lattice Model for Ga(1-x)MnxAs, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 057207 (2007) or cond-mat/0612002.
- R.S. Fishman, F. Popescu, G. Alvarez, J. Moreno, Th. Maier, M. Jarrell, Magnetic Instabilities and Phase Diagram of the Double-Exchange Model in Infinite Dimensions, New J. Phys. 8 (2006) 116 or cond-mat/0604392 (2006).
- C. Sen, G. Alvarez, H. Aliaga, E. Dagotto, Colossal Magnetoresistance Observed in Monte Carlo Simulations of the One- and Two-Orbital Models for Manganites, cond-mat/0603221 (2006) or Phys. Rev. B 73, 224441 (2006)
- G. Alvarez, H. Aliaga, C. Sen, E. Dagotto, Fragility of the A-type AF and CE Phases of Manganites: An Exotic Insulator-to-Metal Transition Induced by Quenched Disorder, Phys. Rev. B 73, 224426 (2006) or cond-mat/0603181 (2006).
- F. Popescu, Y. Yildirim, G. Alvarez, A. Moreo, E. Dagotto, Critical Temperatures of a Two-Band Model for Diluted Magnetic Semiconductors, Phys. Rev. B 075206 (2006) also in cond-mat/0601593 (2006).
- G. Alvarez and T. C. Schulthess, Calculation of dynamical and many-body observables for spin-fermion models using the polynomial expansion method, Phys. Rev. B 73, 035117 (2006)
- C. Sen, G. Alvarez, Y. Motome, N. Furukawa, I. A. Sergienko, T. Schulthess, A. Moreo, E. Dagotto, Study of the One- and Two-Band Models for Colossal Magnetoresistive Manganites Using the Truncated Polynomial Expansion Method, Phys. Rev. B 73, 224430 (2006) or cond-mat/0509418 (2005).
- R.S. Fishman, F. Popescu, G. Alvarez, T.A. Maier, J. Moreno, Spin-Glass Solution of the Double-Exchange Model in Infinite Dimensions, Phys. Rev. B 73, 140405 (2006) or cond-mat/0509270 (2005).
- Matthias Mayr, Gonzalo Alvarez, Cengiz Sen, Elbio Dagotto, Phase fluctuations in strongly coupled d-wave superconductors, Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 217001 (2005)
- M. Mayr, G. Alvarez, A. Moreo and E. Dagotto, The One-Particle Spectral Function and the Local Density of States in a Phenomeological Mixed-Phase Model for High-Temperature Superconductors, Phys. Rev. B 73, 014509 (2006) or cond-mat/0503727
- G. Alvarez, C.Sen, N. Furukawa, Y. Motome, E. Dagotto, The Truncated Polynomial Expansion Monte Carlo Method for Fermion Systems Coupled to Classical Fields: A Model Independent Implementation cond-mat/0502461, Computer Physics Communications, 168 (2005), 32-45
- G. Alvarez, M. Mayr, A. Moreo and E. Dagotto, "Colossal Effects in High Tc Superconductors", cond-mat/0401474 or Phys. Rev. B 71, 014514 (2005)
- C. Sen, G. Alvarez and E. Dagotto, Insulator-to-metal transition induced by disorder in a model for manganites, Phys. Rev. B 70, 064428 (2004) (there's also a cond-mat version)
- G. Alvarez, E. Dagotto, "Single-Band Model for Diluted Magnetic Semiconductors: Dynamical and Transport Properties and Relevance of Clustered States", Phys. Rev. B 68 045202 (2003) or cond-mat/0303350
- G. Alvarez, M. Mayr, E. Dagotto. "Phase Diagram of a Model for Diluted Magnetic Semiconductors Beyond Mean-Field Approximations", Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 277202 (2002) or cond-mat/0205197.
- M. Mayr, G. Alvarez, and E. Dagotto, "Global versus local ferromagnetism in a model for diluted magnetic semiconductors studied with Monte Carlo techniques", Phys. Rev. B 65, 241202 (2002) or cond-mat/0203493
Invited papers, articles, book chapters and proceedings
- Michael S Summers, Gonzalo Alvarez, Jeremy Meredith, Thomas A Maier and Thomas C Schulthess, DCA++: A case for science driven application development for leadership computing platforms , J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 180 012077(2009)
- Elbio Dagotto, Seiji Yunoki, Cengiz Sen, Gonzalo Alvarez and Adriana Moreo, Recent developments in the theoretical study of phase separation in manganites and underdoped cuprates, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 20 (2008) 434224
- G Alvarez, K A Al-Hassanieh, F Popescu, C Sen, A Moreo, and E Dagotto, Study of strongly correlated electrons in nanoscopic and bulk forms: some recent results, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 19 (2007) 125213.
- Gonzalo Alvarez, Adriana Moreo, Elbio Dagotto, Complexity in high-temperature superconductors, Fizika Nizkikh Temperatur, 2006, v. 32, No. 4, p. 290.
- Gonzalo Alvarez, Adriana Moreo, Elbio Dagotto, Complexity in transition metal oxides, Proc. SPIE Vol. 5932, p. 49-63 (2005)
- Article in Physics World Magazine of the IOP (December 2004): [Superconductors go large]
- Proceedings of the International Conference on Magnetism, ICM, Rome 2003. G. Alvarez and E. Dagotto, "Clustered States as a New Paradigm of Condensed Matter Physics", cond-mat/0305628. In Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials (Elsevier) 272-276, 15 (2004)
- Contribution to Chapter 7, Monte Carlo simulations and Application to Manganite Models of Nanoscale Phase Separation and Colossal Magnetoresistance by E. Dagotto. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2003.
Invited Talks at Conferences, Seminars and Workshops (2002-2006)
- Invited talk at the Strongly Correlated Electron Workshop on Oxide Heterostructures, June 17-18, 2008.
- Poster Presentation (with T. Schulthess) at the NCCS User Meeting, Oak Ridge, TN, March 26-27, 2007.
- Invited talk at the 2006 workshop "Competing interactions and colossal responses in transition metal oxides", July 16-22, Telluride, Co. Program
- Invited talk at the 2006 March Meeting of the American Physical Society (APS) held in Baltimore, MD. [abstract at APS website]
- Invited talk at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. South College Seminar Series, February 27, 2006.
- Invited talk at the Fall Creek Falls Conference Oct. 16-18, 2005.
- Invited talk at the Strongly correlated electrons miniprogram at the KITP of UCSB. Santa Barbara, CA, July 2005. [external link].
- Invited talk at the Second Coordination Meeting on Predictive Capabilities for Strongly Correlated Systems Nov 19-21, 2004. on Polynomial Expansion Method for Fermion Systems coupled to classical fields. More Info
- Invited Presentation at Condensed Matter II Class, Florida State University, March 23rd, 2004.
- Invited Talk, Relevance of Clustered States in Diluted Magnetic Semiconductors and Other Materials, University of Maryland, March 3rd, 2004. Schedule
- Invited Speaker, Seminar, Rutgers University, February 26th, 2004. Schedule
- Invited Speaker, Workshop. UF/FSU Workshop on Condensed Matter, Gainesville, FL, April 26, 2003. Program (in PDF)
Conferences and Workshops Attended and Contributed Talks. (2002-2008)
- March Meeting of the American Physical Society (APS), 2008, New Orleans, LA. Abstract: B10.00004: Possible Explanation of the Fermi Arcs in Cuprates, based on a clustered superconducting state above Tc.
- IBM Blue Gene Workshop, October 31, 2007, American Museum of Science and Energy in Oak Ridge.
- CNMS User Meeting 2006
- March Meeting of the American Physical Society (APS) 2005, Los Angeles, CA. U43.00010: Superconducting Clusters and Colossal Effects in Underdoped Cuprates
- Monte Carlo Methods for Classical and Quantum Spin Systems and Beyond, organized by " The Nanomaterials Theory Institute of the Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences at Oak Ridge National Laboratory". Oak Ridge, TN. August 4-8, 2003. Overview
- March Meeting 2003, Austin, TX.
Section S24.004. Dynamical and transport properties of a spin-fermion model for Diluted Magnetic Semiconductors. Abstract.
- March Meeting 2002, Indianapolis, IN.,
Section L19.003 Monte Carlo Study of Dilute Magnetic Semiconductors. Abstract
Ph. D Thesis