Tomahawk Chapel was built in 1837 as a Methodist church serving the small community in the Granite Springs/Baldwin Place area of West Somers. In J. Thomas Scharf’s History of Westchester County, a reference by Hachaliah Bailey to the tiny chapel was quoted as such, “Thomas Miller has built a chapel not much bigger than a tiger’s cage.” Tomahawk Chapel was a Sunday School for many years, teaching reading, writing, and decorum to the local children before public education was available. Many of those students grew up, made their own homes nearby, and returned to the cemetery to be buried. Located on State Route 118 just north of the entrance to Koegel Park, the chapel and grounds were deeded to the Town in 1985. The chapel is undergoing conservation and preservation efforts and is not accessible to the public, but the grounds can be visited and you can peek in the windows. On June 24th, 2011, it was one of 27 nominations recommended by the New York State Review Board for the State and National Registers of Historic Places under its 19th century name, the West Somers Methodist-Episcopal Church. On November 25, 2011 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.