At the Ubuntu login screen, the numlock is switched off. With a simple hack the numlock can be switched on at the login screen.
To have the numlock switched on at the login screen, the following needs to be executed:
- Open a terminal
- Type the following command: gksu gedit /etc/gdm/Init/Default and press Enter
- If required type the requested password and press Enter
- Copy the following lines and paste it at the bottom of the file:
if [ -x /usr/bin/numlockx ]; then
exec /usr/bin/numlockx on
- Make sure the lines are inserted above the last line (exit 0)
- Save the file and colse it.
The next time after rebooting the system, the numlock should be switched on at the login screen.