Info about the area
There are lots of fun things to do in Colorado and TihsreeD is very central to all the fun. Some activities that our guests enjoy may require some advance planning. If you and your group plan to rent ATVs/snowmobiles, go horseback riding, ride the Cog Railway up Pikes Peak, go rafting, ballooning, helicoptering, or skiing you should call the provider and line up your adventure before you leave home.
Helpful Contact Info:
· Big D Motorsports 180 State Hwy 67 Unit A, Woodland Park, CO, (719) 687-7228
· Cog Railway Reservations (719) 685-5401 or 1-800-745-3773
· Noah’s Ark Rafting 23910 US-285, Buena Vista, CO 81211 (719) 395-2158
· MLazyC Ranch for horseback riding, 801 Co Rd 453, Lake George, CO 80827
Be sure to let everyone know that at ThisreeD, there is very limited cell phone coverage and no internet... however, we are confident your guests will leave with a much better connection!
The landline phones at both The Cabin (719-748-6025) and The Lodge (719-748-1143) have unlimited long distance to anywhere in the continental US. Feel free to make as many calls to anywhere in the continental US as you care to. Be sure emergency contacts, business owner contacts, house sitters, pet sitters and baby sitters have these numbers so everyone can stay in touch as necessary.
You and your guests will find a “Quick Start Guide” printed on yellow paper in The Lodge/The Cabin/The Hideaway Apartment. It is very important that all guests take time to read this document, as it will ensure a safer, more successful stay for everyone.
Many of our guests hire a photographer for family photos while at the lodge. There are many lovely backdrops for family portraits both inside and outside. If photos are on your list of things you want to do, begin deciding on clothing colors and book your photographer now. A few local photographers you may want to consider are:
· Marcie Runnells, firstname.lastname@example.org
· High Altitude Photography, www.highaltitudeweddings.com, when you book this couple you get two photographers for the price of one! 720-515-5560
For guests who will be flying in and renting a car be sure to check car rental rates at different outlets. Sometimes it is much less expensive to rent a car from rental sites away from the airport.
For the anglers in the group there are some wonderful fishing guides in our area. We recommend:
· The Peak Fly Shop, 301 Highway 24, Woodland Park, CO 80863, (719) 687-9122
· South Platte Fly Shop, 405 E Highway 24, Woodland Park, CO, (719) 686 8990.
The local museum is free and full of wonderful exhibits you will be delighted to explore. You will learn about the valuable gemstones that work their way to the surface all around Teller County. Native American Tribes lived here for many hundreds of years; see their clothing, lifestyles and battle grounds. Learn about the ‘rickety stage coach’ that traveled back and forth to Cripple Creek with its cargo of beer during the gold rush days and about the Midland Railroad. http://www.pikespeakhsmuseum.org/ (719)748-8259 18033 Teller County Road #1, Florissant.
The Trading Post has art and handicrafts from local artisans and a really fun shooting gallery for the young and young at heart. 2651 US-24, Florissant, (719) 641-6404
In case anyone in your group has medical issues or will require medications, our local hospital is Pikes Peak Regional Hospital. It is on Hwy 24, about 17 miles from the Lodge. It is a small hospital, but capable of handling most medical issues that might come up. Our local chain pharmacies are Walgreens, Walmart, and pharmacies in the City Market and Safeway grocery stores in Woodland Park.
If you prefer a more natural means of treating your symptoms, you will enjoy visiting Tymekeeper, our local herbalist. Mari Marques has all the herbal remedies, teas and oils you might want. She frequently writes for the local paper and conducts classes on medicine from your kitchen and ‘salad walks’. She is located in Florissant at 1870 County Road 31. 719-696-9593
If you are planning to golf, clubs are available for rent at Shining Mountain Golf Course in Woodland Park, 100 Shining Mountain Lane, Woodland Park, CO 80863, (719) 687-7587 www.shiningmountaingolf.com
One additional thing that draws visitors to Colorado is the legal marijuana. While we do not allow any smoking in the Lodge, we know legal marijuana is on the 'to do' list of some of our guests. We have a link to FAQs and helpful answers below.
We have a crockpot, toaster, mixer, coffee maker, and plenty of cookware and bakeware. We try to keep some coffee filters, salt, pepper, flour and sugar on hand for your use. There are several grocery stores in Woodland Park you will pass on your way to the lodge. The best selection and prices can be found at one of these stores:
· Walmart- 19600 Hwy 24, Woodland Park, CO, 80863, 719-687-1065
· Safeway-1101 Hwy 24, Woodland Park, CO, 719-686-1836
· City Market-777 Gold Hill Place South, Woodland Park, CO 80863 719-687-359
Should you plan on fishing, a one day license is $9 and can be purchased at many local convenience stores. This link to Colorado Parks and Wildlife site may be helpful:
While you are in the area, try the following restaurants… some are fun and quirky, some are just excellent places to eat:
• $$ (12 miles) Mc Ginty’s Wood Oven Pub in Divide- Irish themed with delicious modern twist to familiar standards. 11115 Hwy 24, Divide, CO 80814, (719) 686-7703
• $$ Iron Tree Comfort Food and Bakery – Breakfast, lunch and dinner. At the intersection of HWY 24 and Teller 1 & 3 in Florissant, (719) 684-4937 www.irontreerestaurant.com
• $ Russ's Place (12 miles) Want something casual and yummy? Try Russ's Place in Divide. Bar food, with an extra special touch, in a family friendly atmosphere be sure to find time to stop by and experience the local's favorite. Try the black bean buger and the homemade slaw!
• $$ The Southern Lilly, a family-owned and operated restaurant, serving up Southern comfort food in an elegant, but comfortable and friendly environment. 727 Gold Hill Place, Woodland Park, CO 80863, 719-896-1053
• $$$ (32 miles) The Steakhouse at Bronco Billy’s Casino in Cripple Creek- 233 East Bennett Ave., 719-689-2909 Great steak dinners. Reservations are strongly recommended, and are taken up to three months in advance. The Steakhouse has been lauded as one of the best steakhouses in Southern Colorado, and is truly a hidden gem.
• $$ (44 miles) The Airplane Restaurant- Aviation-themed joint with basic American grub served in an old tanker plane & adjacent dining room. Named one of America’s most unusual. 1665 Newport Rd, Colorado Springs.
• $$ (55 miles) Juniper Ranch south of Colorado Springs- 16350 CO Hwy-115 719-576-0741 for family style dinners of the best skillet-fried chicken or ham with fixings that you ever tasted, with a menu that hasn’t changed since 1951.
If you plan to go to Cripple Creek for gaming, ask for a Bronco Billy's MVP cards preloaded with $10 at the MVP desk. Saturday nights at Bronco Billy’s are extra fun. Free hors d'oeuvres, drinks and live music upstairs.
Liquor stores on the way:
· Log Cabin Liquor, 2839 Highway 24, Florissant, 719-748-8080 (Tell them you are from TihsreeD Lodge and they will give you a free bag of ice for every $100 in liquor purchases!)
· Gold Hills Wine & Liquor (near City Market), 797 Gold Hill Place South, Woodland Park, 719-687-9149
· LaGree’s Liquors, Divide, Colorado, Sarah or Janet, 11179 US-24, Divide, CO 80814, 719-687-3141, email@example.com
Remember you do not need to pack soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, lotion, salt, pepper, paper towels, tissue, or extra blankets. We supply all of these. Please be easy on the environment and do not buy bottled water to drink. We are blessed with fabulous spring water as good or better than any bottled water you might purchase.
A quick check of the 10 day weather forecast will help you know what to expect weather-wise. Keep in mind that we are located in a mountain/desert environment. That means the sunshine is intense and the low humidity causes nighttime temperatures to drop dramatically. Be sure to bring a sweatshirt or ask us about purchasing one of our TihsreeD Lodge hoodies. This link might be helpful for your weather planning: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Florissant+CO+80816:4:US
At certain times of the year, any outdoor source of flame could be banned. This might include smoking outdoors, gas or charcoal grills and more. A quick place to check the current burn restrictions (if there are any) is: http://www.co.teller.co.us/
Finally, we want you to stay safe, and not get caught in our local "speed trap". Keep in mind that the police patrol Hwy 24 heavily for speeders. Take your time and enjoy the lovely scenery as you drive.
Driving Directions to Tihsreed
· Highway 24 West to Florissant
· Turn Right onto County Road 31 (the "main" intersection in Florissant)
· Follow County Road 31 for about 1/2 mile
· Turn Right onto County Road 3 (also known as Wildhorn)
· Stay on County Road 3 for a little over 2 miles.
· Turn Right onto Arapahoe Creek (This is a gravel road and there will be a mail box cluster on your left.)
· Arapahoe Creek will lead into Pathfinder Rd. Take Pathfinder Road.
· TihsreeD will be about 1/2 mile down - Third driveway on the left
· Come all the way up the drive.