2015 - present West Virginia University, IMSE Department, Morgantown, USA
Smart Manufacturing. Assistant Professor & J. Wayne and Kathy Richards Faculty Fellow.
- J. Wayne and Kathy Richards Faculty Fellow in Engineering.
- WVU’s Strategic Transformation Core Team reporting to the Office of the Provost (2018/19).
- Member of Search Committee for Glen H. Hiner Dean At Statler College (2019).
- Statler Research Council (2020-)
- Staler Outstanding Teacher of the Year 2019.
- IDEA Fellow and campus wide champion for entrepreneurship.
- BIG12 Fellow.
2009 - 2015 BIBA - BREMER INSTITUT FUER PRODUKTION UND LOGISTIK GMBH, Bremen, Germany
Industrial Engineering/Supply Chain Management. Research Scientist/PhD Candidate.
- Participate in national and international research and industrial projects within the area of manufacturing, machine learning/artificial intelligence, (item-level) PLM, SCM, QM, (conceptual) design, process and information/data management.
- Accomplish acquisition of public & industrial funding for projects (0.5 to 4 m€ each) involving consortia building and negotiations with e.g., EC, as project leader, etc.
- Publish and present research findings at international conferences and journals.
- Supervise and teach Master/Bachelor students, e.g., by providing guidance on thesis research and writing, student projects with partners from industry, lectures.
- Giving lectures in the curriculum of industrial engineering and management students.
2014 UNIVERSITY OF APPLIED SCIENCES BREMEN (Hochschule Bremen), Bremen, Germany
- Lecturer in executive education program for a group of 10 high-ranking officials with an industrial background (e.g., CEOs, COO) from the Shanxi Province, China.
- Referred topics: Machine Learning in Manufacturing & PLM Applications in Manufacturing.
2013 - 2014 UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, Los Angeles, USA
Industrial and Systems Engineering. Research Scholar.
- Research Project funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
- Development of approach to increase process and product quality in manufacturing through monitoring of product state based data and utilizing machine learning.
- Projects of Innovative Design Thinking and Conceptual Design and the relation to manufacturing.
2008 - 2009 POLYSIUS AG (A THYSSENKRUPP TECHNOLOGIES COMPANY), Beckum, Germany
Engineering. Collaboration on Master Thesis.
- Title: "Procurement strategies of customer oriented supply chains in regulated commodity markets" (Grade 1.1) (published by Springer).
- Conducted analysis of the market for refractories in terms of prices, price development, demand and availability, development of procurement model.
- Developed model for procurement in strongly restricted and limited supply market.
2008 ARTHUR D. LITTLE (SWITZERLAND) LTD., Zurich, Switzerland
Top Management Consultancy. Intern Operations Management Practice.
- Optimized purchasing of major EU Railway company (savings over 13 mCHF p. a.).
- Developed several complex tools e.g. to track realized savings, to assess suppliers.
- Evaluated and designed processes to create transparency of client’s ICT services.
- Support in various projects (e.g. restructuring of global medical equipment manufacturer) and project acquisition (e.g. production optimization in automotive industry (OEM),...).
2006 UNIVERSITY OF BREMEN, Bremen, Germany
Technological Design and Development. Junior Research Scientist.
- Analyzed and researched the field of bionical optimization methods in logistics.
- Scientific report about state-of-the-art of bionical optimization methods in logistics.
- Assisted in the organization of meetings, workshops and seminars of several days duration for 30 scientists and industry-experts in the area of bionical research.
2006 - 2007 BIBA - BREMER INSTITUT FUER PRODUKTION UND LOGISTIK GMBH, Bremen, Germany
Product Lifecycle Management. Student Project – Electronic product code.
- Made an image of, reproduced and monitored the PLC of a product similar in design to a personal computer through Internet of Things, EPCIS and RFID Technology.
- Developed and built prototype system incl. software programming and hardware.
2004 - 2009 ESTIEM / VWI, Bremen, Germany
International Student Organization. Project Manager.
- As project leader organized an international case study competition sponsored by Roland Berger Strategy Consultants (RBSC).
2004 ELLMERS GMBH, Bremen, Germany
Mechanical Engineering. Internship in Mechanical Engineering.
- Serviced and maintained machine components located at the clients’ site.
2001 - 2003 DEUTSCHE BUNDESWEHR (GERMAN FEDERAL ARMED FORCES), Münster, Ellwangen, Dresden, Stetten, etc., Germany
Military Services. Officer, Last Rank: Lieutenant.
- Trained recruits in basic training (incl. giving lectures on strategy, tactics and weapon handling, etc.) and lead soldiers as Platoon Leader.
- Received several awards including two golden achievement badges.
see education of Thorsten Wuest