Vanilla Walnut Milk
Recipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2011/07/vanilla-walnut-milk/
Makes 5 cups of milk
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup walnuts, soaked and drained
- 1 tablespoons agave nectar*
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract*
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
*The agave and vanilla measurements are to taste. 1 tablespoon each worked out well for my taste buds, but be sure to do a couple taste tests as you go along to reach your desired flavor.
- Start by soaking the walnuts for 6-8 hours, preferably overnight, and then draining them.
- Place the walnuts and 5 cups of water into a blender and blend on high for roughly 1 minute, until the walnut pieces are about as small as you think they're going to get.
- Slowly pour the milk over a cheesecloth and into a large bowl, catching the walnut bits in the cloth.
- Discard the pulp, or save it and then head over to Café Janae to learn about some great uses for walnut pulp.
- Pour the milk back into the blender and add in the agave, vanilla and salt.
- Blend on high for another minute and then taste the milk to see if you might want to add some more flavoring. If not, you're all finished!