Recipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2012/09/sweet-potato-tofu-pizza
- 1 whole wheat pizza dough
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, softened (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 block of extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
If you pizza dough isn't pre-made, prepare and bake it per the instructions on the package (or make homemade dough if you're not a lazy face like I am).
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the sweet potato in the microwave until done.
- Remove the potato from the microwave and peel and discard of the skin. You can also opt to leave the skin on (I haven't tried this but it would probably be delicious).
- In a small bowl, use a hand mixer on low-medium speed to mix together the sweet potato, almond milk, vegan butter, 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Spread the mashed potato mixture on top of the pizza dough, stopping approximately 1/2" from the edges.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a skillet.
- Add in the red onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper, remaining salt and remaining pepper.
- Cook the veggies until the celery softens, roughly 5 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Crumble the tofu into small pieces and add it to the skillet.
- Stir in the turmeric.
- Cook the tofu and veggies for 10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Add in the spinach leaves and cook until the leaves wilt, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Pour the tofu mixture on top of the pizza and spread it out evenly.
- Brush the edges of the pizza crust with the olive oil.
- Bake the pizza in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, slice it up and serve it warm.