Makes 12 cupcakes
- 3/4 cup vegan butter substitute (I used Earth Balance), softened
- 3/4 cup vegan refined sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup vegan confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the vegan butter and refined sugar on low-medium speed.
- Add in the applesauce, lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- Mix until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing on low-medium speed until all ingredients are combined.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Spoon the batter into a cupcake tin.
- Gently press 2-3 grapes into each cupcake.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning once during baking. You'll know that they're done when no wet batter can be seen on the tops of the cupcakes. If in doubt, bake them a little longer.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before adding the glaze.
- To make the glaze, stir together the powdered sugar and almond milk.
- Drizzle the glaze over the tops of the cupcakes.