Savory Molasses Biscuits
Recipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2012/11/savory-molasses-biscuits/
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1/3 cup grape seed oil
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat four, 1/4 cup of oats, wheat germ, baking powder, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon thyme and the black pepper.
- In another bowl, stir together the molasses, grape seed oil and 3/4 cup almond milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the batter onto the pan. You can either make drop biscuits, or do what I did and roll the batter in a ball with your hands and then press the biscuit ball gently between your palms before placing on the baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with the remaining 2 tablespoons of almond milk.
- Sprinkle the biscuits with the remaining 1/4 cup of oats, 1 teaspoon of thyme and sprinkle of salt.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until the tops begin to brown.
- Allow to cool for a bit before digging into these biscuits. The flavor changes a bit as the biscuits cool. My favorite way to serve these savory biscuits is slightly warm with a dollop of vegan butter.