Plum Streusel Coffeecake
Recipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2012/07/plum-streusel-coffee-cake/
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegan vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 3/4 cup refined sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegan vanilla yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 3-4 ripe plums, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease a 9" cake pan (I use Earth Balance and flour).
- Combine all of the streusel ingredients in one bowl and stir until fully combined, or do what I do and mush it all together with your hands.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the melted vegan butter, refined sugar, applesauce, yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Add in the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt.
- Stir in the distilled white vinegar.
- Pour the batter in the cake pan.
- Place the plum slices on top of the cake batter.
- Spread the streusel on top of the plums.
- Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until the top browns and a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly (the plum will stick to the toothpick, but that's okay. Just make sure no wet cake batter is on the toothpick and you're good to go).
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes, then serve if you want to eat it warm. Otherwise allow to cool completely.