Peanut Butter Coconut Icebox Pie
Recipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2012/08/peanut-butter-coconut-icebox-pie
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 1 10 oz box of Cinnamon Teddy Graham crumbs OR 2 cups of other vegan graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese substitute
- 1 cup all natural peanut butter, already stirred and refrigerated
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large banana, sliced
- Chill the coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight (or for several days, until you're ready to use it).
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use a food processor to turn your cute little graham bears into graham crumbs.
- If your peanuts aren't already chopped and you don't want to use a knife, throw those in the food processor, as well.
- Stir together the graham crumbs, 1/2 cup of chopped peanuts and melted vegan butter.
- Use your fingers to spread the mixture into a greased pie tin.
- Bake the crust for 10-12 minutes, until it begins to brown.
- Remove the crust from the oven and allow it to cool completely before moving on to the next step.
- Remove one can of your chilled coconut milk from the refrigerator and open it up.
- Scoop out the firm layer that has solidified in the can and place in a bowl.
- When you reach the liquid that should be about 3/4 of the way down, stop scooping. Reserve the liquid for another use (smoothies, anyone?).
- Whip the coconut milk solids, either by hand or hand mixer, until the milk turns into whipped cream, 3-5 minutes.
- Melt 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips in the microwave until just melted and stir in with 1/2 cup of the whipped cream.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the pie crust.
- Arrange the sliced banana on top of the chocolate.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, peanut butter, brown sugar and vanilla until fully combined.
- Mix in the remaining 1 cup or so of whipped cream.
- Pour the peanut butter layer over top of the bananas.
- Cover and refrigerate the pie for 8 hours (or overnight).
- After the pie has been chilled, remove the other can of the coconut milk from the refrigerator and repeat the whipped cream-making process.
- Spread the whipped cream over top of the pie.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of peanuts over top of the whipped cream.
- Microwave the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and drizzle the melted chocolate on top of everything.
- Slice and enjoy!