Orange Shortbread Cookies
- Peel of 2 oranges, sliced into 1/4" strips
- 2 1/4 cups vegan refined sugar
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces of Earth Balance, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegan confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces vegan dark chocolate
- Peel your oranges and slice the peel into strips. Save part of the orange flesh to use for the orange juice you'll need later on.
- Place the sliced orange peel into a small pot of cold water and bring to a boil.
- When the water begins to boil, remove from heat, drain the water and repeat the process two more times.
- After the water is drained the third time, bring the orange peel, 1 3/4 cups refined sugar and 1 cup of water to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, drain the water, roll the strips of peel in the remaining 1/2 cup of refined sugar and place on a rack to dry for 5 hours.
- When you're ready to make the cookies, chop the candied orange peel. You should have approximately 1 cup of chopped peel when you're finished.
- Stir together the Earth Balance and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl.
- Add in the salt and flour and continue to stir. The dough will start to form clumps.
- Add the orange zest, orange juice, chopped candied orange peel and vanilla extract to your dough and continue to stir.
- Use your hands to form the dough into a log, roughly 2.5" high x 2.5" wide
- Wrap the log in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- After an hour, preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap and cut the log into 1/4" slices.
- Place the slices on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tops are golden.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
- Once cool, melt the dark chocolate and drizzle over the cookies.