Maple Sweet Potato Pecan Burgers
Recipe found at
Makes 4 burgers
- 2 cups peeled, cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup dry roasted pecans, chopped
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (plus a sprinkle for the onion topping)
- 1 Vidalia onion
- sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper
- 4 buns of your choice
If your pecans aren't already dry roasted, you can roast them
easily by spreading them out on a baking sheet and baking for 5 minutes
at 350 degrees.
- To make the burgers, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Since sweet potatoes come in all shapes and sizes, I opted to include a
measurement of the potatoes already cooked and mashed rather than a
total number of sweet potatoes to use. I ended up using three potatoes
for this recipe. I microwaved them until soft, then removed the skin and
mashed them with a fork in a large bowl.
- While your potatoes
are cooking, bring the water and quinoa to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Turn the heat down to a low simmer and cover the saucepan, allowing the
quinoa to cook for 8-10 minutes. Check the quinoa every couple of minutes since stove temperatures vary. It may cook faster or slower than
expected. You'll know it's done when the water is almost gone from the
pan and the quinoa appears to be nearly transparent instead of its
original whitish color.
- Remove the quinoa from the stove and allow to
sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
In a separate saucepan, or in a microwave, melt 1 tablespoon of
Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of
maple syrup and the cayenne pepper.
- Stir the maple syrup sauce in with the mashed sweet potatoes
- Then stir in the the cooked quinoa, pecans, kale and sea salt.
Form the mixture into four patties and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes, turning once at the halfway point.
the burgers have around 15 minutes left to cook, make the onion topping
by first roughly chopping the Vidalia onion.
- Melt the remaining 1
tablespoon of Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread in a small skillet
over medium heat.
- Add the onion to the melted Earth Balance
- Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Cook for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat down to low and pour in
the remaining 1 tablespoon of maple syrup.
- Stir continuously as the
onions continue to cook for 3 more minutes.
- Remove the onion mixture
from the heat and spoon over the tops of the burgers once they have