Recipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2011/09/ginger-candy/
Makes 25-30 pieces
- 1 1/2 cups ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 3/4 cups vegan refined sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- The first step is to peel and chop your ginger.
Peeling ginger seems daunting, but I promise it's not. The skin is very
thin and you can use a spoon to scrape it off.
- Once your ginger is peeled, chop it up into pieces that are a little
bit bigger than bite-size. They're going to shrink down when you
- Preheat your oven to 225 degree Fahrenheit.
a small pot, bring the ginger, water and 1 1/2 cups sugar to a slow
- Allow the mixture to simmer until it is reduced by about fifty
percent. You'll know it's done when a thick syrup is formed. It will take roughly 20-30 minutes.
Remove the ginger and coat in the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar.
the pieces out onto a baking pan lined with aluminum foil and bake for
2-3 hours, until the ginger dries out. You want them to be dry but
chewy, so test a piece after 2 hours, and then in 15 minute increments,
until you reach the desired consistency.
Remove the candy from the oven and allow the pieces to cool to room temperature before biting into them.