Coffee Date Pancakes with Chocolate Date Butter
Makes 7-8 small pancakes
Butter recipe makes 6-8 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegan refined sugar
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1 cup vanilla coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon ground coffee
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1-3 tablespoons vegan butter (for the skillet)
- maple syrup for serving (optional)
Chocolate Date Butter ingredients:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter substitute (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- To make the butter, place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until combined.
- Spoon onto plastic wrap and roll the butter into the shape of a tube.
- Refrigerate to harden, at least 30 minutes.
- To make the pancakes, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the mashed banana, coconut milk and ground coffee.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir.
- Separate the dates with your fingers and drop them in the batter, being careful not to drop them as one giant wad of date bits.
- Fold in the chopped dates.
- Heat your griddle or cast iron skillet (I used a skillet on low-medium heat) and drop in a tablespoon of vegan butter. Use a 1/4 measuring cup to scoop the batter and drop it onto the griddle/skillet.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. When the batter begins to bubble, flip the pancakes. If the pancakes bubble sooner than 2 minutes, turn down the heat.
- Remove the Chocolate Date Butter from the refrigerator and unwrap it. Slice the butter and drop a dollop or two on top of the pancakes.
- Dig right in or top with maple syrup for an extra bit of awesomeness.