Coconut Pineapple Loaf Cake
Recipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2012/06/coconut-pineapple-loaf-cake/
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup vegan refined sugar
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread or another vegan butter substitute, softened
- 1/2 cup vegan vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 20 ounce can pineapple, drained very well (if you use sliced pineapple, cut the slices into 1/2" pieces)
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread the coconut onto a baking pan and bake for 6 minutes, stirring once. Keep a close eye on it. As soon as it browns, remove it from the oven.
- In a large bowl, mix together the Earth Balance and sugar with a hand mixer.
- Add in the yogurt and sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and sea salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Stir in the pineapple and 1 cup of the shredded coconut.
- Stir in the distilled white vinegar.
- Spread the batter into a loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut on top.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes total, removing the cake at the 30 minute point and covering the loaf pan with aluminum foil. Don't skip this step, it will keep the coconut from burning to a crisp.
- The cake is done when a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- Allow the cake to cool before slicing.