Chocolate Potato Cake with Raspberry Buttercream Frosting
Recipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2011/06/chocolate-potato-cake/
- 1 cup of mashed potatoes, no seasoning (any baking potato
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, softened
- 2 cups vegan refined sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 3 cups vegan powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease two 8”
round cake pans.
- Stir together the mashed potatoes and water in a small bowl. It’s okay if there are some lumps left in there.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking
powder, coffee granules, baking soda and salt.
- In a third bowl, mix the refined sugar and 3/4 cup of Earth
Balance on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add in the vanilla and the applesauce and
continue to mix until just combined, approximately 15 more seconds.
- Increase the speed of your mixer to medium/high and slowly
add in the dry ingredients and the potato water, alternating between the two
until all ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spoon to stir in the vinegar and pour the batter into
the two cake pans. The batter will be thick, so use a spoon to spread it out
- Bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick can be inserted and
- After the cake has completely cooled, make the frosting by
placing the preserves, powdered sugar, the remaining 1/2 cup of Earth Balance into
a large bowl and mixing on medium speed until fully combined.