Chocolate Orange Cupcakes with Two Frosting OptionsRecipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2011/11/chocolate-orange-cupcakes/
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup vegan refined sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
Orange Frosting ingredients:
- 6 cups vegan confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, softened
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 6 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
Bourbon-Orange Glaze ingredients:
- 1 cup vegan confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the orange juice, canola oil, vanilla and orange zest.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 of the way to the top and bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- Place the cupcakes on a wire rack to cool.
Now you have a very important decision to make. Are you going to frost your cupcakes, or are you going to pour glaze all over them? Or are you going to be like me and do both?
- If you're going the frosting route, make the frosting by simply combining all ingredients in a large bowl and mixing on low-medium speed until fully combined.
- Wait until the cupcakes are completely cool and then top with frosting.
- If you want to use the glaze on your cupcakes, make the glaze by whisking together all ingredients
- While the cupcakes are still warm, spoon the glaze on top. Or do what I do and fully dunk each cupcake in the glaze.