Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies
Recipe from http://thetolerantvegan.com/2011/11/chocolate-covered-cherry-cookies/
Makes approximately 24 cookies
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
- 1 cup refined sugar
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 24 dark morello cherries in syrup
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup non-dairy vanilla milk (I used soy)
- 3 teaspoons morello cherry juice, from jar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread and refined sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix on low-medium speed until fluffy.
- Add in the mashed banana and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing on medium speed until fully combined. The cookie batter will be pretty thick.
- Scoop the batter onto a baking pan
- and scoop the cherries out of their jar
- Make a thumbprint in the center of each cookie, then place one cherry in each thumbprint
- In a small pot over low heat, melt the chocolate chips and non-dairy milk, stirring constantly.
- Once melted, remove from heat and stir in the cherry juice.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of the melted chocolate over top of each cookie
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes
- Remove the cookies from the oven, spoon another teaspoon of chocolate over each cookie and allow them to cool to room temperature.