Chicken-less Stuffed Baked Potatoes
Recipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2012/06/chicken-less-stuffed-baked-potatoes/
- 4 Russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (I used orange)
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread or another vegan butter substitute
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces vegan "chicken" strips, chopped into 1/2" pieces. I used Trader Joe's Chicken-less Strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 cup Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the potatoes in a microwave and let cool completely.
- Saute the chopped onion, garlic, bell pepper and Earth Balance in a skillet until soft, 4-5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the tomato paste and 1 1/2 tablespoons of water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the fake chicken, parsley, oregano, sea salt, pepper, chili powder, tomato/water mixture and 1/2 cup of cheddar.
- Stir in the onions and bell pepper.
- Cut a thin strip in the top of each potato, roughly 1/2" wide.
- Use a spoon or melon baller to scoop out the insides of each potato and add it to the chicken mixture.
- Stir the potato into the chicken mixture until fully combined.
- Spoon the mixture back inside each potato, stacking the remaining mixture on the top.
- Sprinkle the tops of the potatoes with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheddar.
- Place the potatoes in a baking pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.