Butterscotch Finger Cakes
Recipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2012/04/butterscotch-finger-cakes/
Makes 16 finger cakes
- 3/4 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread or another vegan butter substitute, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup refined sugar
- 8 ounces dairy-free vanilla yogurt (I used soy)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread or another vegan butter substitute, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 cup Vegan Butterscotch Sauce (ingredients below) OR vegan butterscotch chips, melted
Vegan Butterscotch Sauce Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread or another vegan butter substitute
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy creamer
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
To make the sauce:
- Melt 4 tablespoons of Earth Balance over medium heat in a heavy-bottom sauce pan.
- Once the Earth Balance is melted, stir in the light brown sugar, soy creamer and sea salt.
- Stir until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Bring the sauce to a low boil and allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla
- Pour into a smaller container for cooling.
Allow the sauce to cool to room temperate and move on to making the
cake. If you are making the sauce ahead of time, store in an airtight
container in the refrigerator for up to one week until you are ready to
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease and flour a 9x13" baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the Earth Balance, brown sugar and refined sugar on low speed.
- Add in the yogurt, vanilla extract, almond extract and almond milk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, mixing on low-medium speed until fully combined.
- Use a spoon to stir in the lemon juice.
- Pour the batter onto the baking pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes.
- Loosen the cake by sliding a butter knife between the cake and the edges of the pan.
- Place parchment paper and a cooling rack on top of the cake, then flip the cake over.
- Let the cake cool completely, then lift the pan off of the cake.
the cake cools, make the frosting by combining the butterscotch sauce (or melted butterscotch chips),
Earth Balance and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl and mixing on
- Spread the frosting on top of the cake.
- Slice it up and enjoy!