Buttermilk Biscuit Mac and Cheese
Recipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2012/01/buttermilk-biscuit-mac-and-cheese/
- 8 ounces whole wheat macaroni, uncooked
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
- 3 cups plain soy milk
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 cups Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
- 1 cup Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds
- 1 cup dry vegan biscuit mix*
*I used Bisquick for this recipe
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and then get started making some "buttermilk."
Pour 2 1/2 cups of the plain soy milk into a small bowl and stir in
the distilled white vinegar.
- Set the bowl aside and allow the milk to
transform while you get to work on the macaroni.
- Boil the
macaroni for 2 minutes less than the package directions state.
from heat and drain the pasta.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of the Earth
Balance and set aside.
Place the remaining Earth Balance, 2 cups of the "buttermilk" and
1/2 cup plain soy milk in a medium-sized pot over low-medium heat.
until the Earth Balance melts.
Mix in the all-purpose flour, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Increase the heat to medium and stir in 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and
the ground cayenne pepper.
- Continue stirring while the mixture
thickens (roughly five minutes) and then remove from heat.
- Stir in 3
cups of Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds and the Daiya Mozzarella Style
- Once the cheese starts to melt, stir in the pasta.
Pour the mixture into a greased (I used Earth Balance to cover mine) 9x13" pan.
In a small bowl, stir together the dry biscuit mix, remaining 1/2 cup of
"buttermilk," the remaining 1/2 cup of Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds and
the last of the garlic powder.
Drop spoonfuls evenly across the top of the macaroni
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the top begins to brown.
Share it with the ones you love.