Butter Pecan Cupcakes
Recipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2011/07/butter-pecan-cupcakes/
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, softened
- 1 cup vegan refined sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 5 ounces Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, softened
- 3 1/2 cups vegan confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To toast the pecans, spread them out on a baking pan lined with aluminum foil and bake for 5 minutes.
- Set pecans aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the Earth Balance and refined sugar on low-medium speed until combined.
- Mix in the applesauce, vanilla and almond milk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, sea salt and baking soda.
- Combine the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients, mixing on medium speed until well combined.
- Stir in vinegar by hand.
- Fold in 1 cup of the toasted pecans.
- Spoon the batter into cupcake liners and bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool to room temperature.
- To make the frosting, combine the Tofutti, Earth Balance, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and almond milk in a large bowl and mix on low-medium speed until fully combined.
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of toasted pecans on top.