Bourbon Spice Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegan butter substitute (I used Earth Balance), softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup plain almond milk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup vegan cream cheese substitute (I used Tofutti)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter substitute (I used Earth Balance), softened
- 3 1/4 cups vegan confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sea salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, mix the vegan butter and brown sugar on low-medium speed until fully combined.
- Add in the applesauce and almond milk.
- Stir in the molasses.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing on low-medium speed until fully combined.
- Stir in the bourbon.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Pour the batter into a cupcake tin, filling each cup all the way to the top.
- Bake the cupcakes for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- Make the frosting by combining all ingredients in a large bowl and mixing on low-medium speed. Store the frosting in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it.
- Frost the cupcakes