Bourbon Peach Cobbler
Recipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2011/05/bourbon-peach-cobbler/
- 6 cups of peeled and sliced peaches (canned or fresh)
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon vegan refined sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 12 tablespoons plus 2 tablespoons Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
- 2 tablespoons soy creamer
- Vanilla dairy-free ice cream to top with (optional)
Directions for peeling peaches:
- For the peaches, I used half fresh and half canned. If you want to use fresh peaches, there's an easy way to get the peel off. First, slice a small X into the bottom of the peaches.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and blanch the peaches for at least 30 seconds. The less ripe the peaches are, the more time they'll need to boil.
- Remove from heat and immediately submerge the peaches into ice water for one minute.
- Remove from the water and peel. Ta-da!
Directions for making the cobbler:
- To make the cobbler, preheat your oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, stir together the peaches, bourbon, 1/4 cup of sugar, corn starch and cinnamon.
- In a food processor, blend together the flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, baking powder, salt and 12 tablespoons of Earth Balance. Don't overdo it, the dough should be just a little bit sticky but not runny. If you don't have a food processor, you can mix these ingredients together by hand. I actually recommend using your bare hands to mush it all together.
- Melt the last two tablespoons of Earth Balance over low heat in a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Add in the peach mixture and cook until the peaches are warm, about 2 minutes for canned peaches and 5 minutes for fresh peaches.
- Remove from heat and spoon the dough over top of the peaches.
- Brush the top with your soy creamer and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until the top begins to brown and you can see the peaches bubbling underneath.
- Serve warm with vanilla dairy-free ice cream, if that's your thing. It's definitely my thing.