Banana Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegan refined sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 ounces of Earth Balance melted
- 3 cups mashed bananas (approx. 8 bananas)
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk (or another non dairy milk)
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 oz. vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup earth balance at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups vegan confectioners’ sugar
Plus 2 cups of shredded coconut
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Peel and mash all of the bananas and place them in a separate bowl.
- Add the Earth Balance, milk, vinegar and vanilla extract to the bananas and whisk together.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix on low-medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into two 8x8" cake pans and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- While the cakes are cooling, toast the coconut. Spread the coconut onto a baking sheet and toast at 300 degrees fahrenheit for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Once the cakes and coconut have completely cooled, it time for frosting! Simply mix all frosting ingredients EXCEPT for the coconut together in a large bowl on low-medium speed for 1 minute.
- Stack and frost the cakes, then add coconut by grabbing a handful of coconut and gently pressing it into the frosting on the top and sides of the cake. Scoop up whatever coconut bits fall down and continue to press them to the cake until they stick.