Baked Eggplant Burger
Recipe found at: http://thetolerantvegan.com/2011/08/baked-eggplant-burgers/
Makes 4 big burgers
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more to brush on eggplant before roasting
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 14 ounce can cannellini beans
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 an eggplant (should equal about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup classic hummus (or your favorite flavor hummus)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- tomato, sliced for topping (optional)
- lettuce, for topping (optional)
I recommend either tahini sauce or hummus as the topping for this burger. I ate both versions and they were equally awesome. Here is the recipe for the tahini sauce in case you decide to go that route. It's the same sauce I used on the Baked Broccoli Burger.
Tahini Sauce ingredients:
- 1/3 cup sesame tahini
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- To make the burgers, preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roast the eggplant by cutting it into 1/4" slices and brushing each side with olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes on one side, then flip the slices and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Once the eggplant is done and you remove it from the oven, turn the oven down to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the eggplant is roasting, place the diced red onion and 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the onion softens
- Place the eggplant, onion, beans, bell pepper, parsley, pine nuts, garlic, sea salt and cumin into a large bowl.
- Add the hummus and stir.
- Place the mixture into a food processor and blend everything together. It should only take about 15 seconds.
- Pour the mixture back into a bowl, stir in the breadcrumbs, and use your hands to make four large patties.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray the foil with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the patties on the foil and bake for 45 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- While the burgers are baking, make the tahini sauce by tossing all of the ingredients into a food processor and blending until fully combined.
- Remove the burgers from the oven and eat!