Baked Chicken-less Taquitos
Recipe found at http://thetolerantvegan.com/2011/05/baked-chicken-less-taquito/
Makes 12 taquitos
- 3 ounces Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup salsa verde
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
- 8 ounces vegan "chicken" strips, chopped (I used Trader Joe's Chicken-less Strips)
- 1/2 cup shredded dairy-free cheddar cheese (I used Daiya)
- 1/2 cup shredded dairy-free Pepperjack cheese
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- sprinkle of sea salt
- sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil spray
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Combine your garlic, chopped cilantro, scallions, yellow onion, red bell pepper, dairy-free cheeses and chicken-less chicken into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the softened vegan cream cheese, salsa verde, lime juice, chile powder, cayenne pepper, sea salt and black pepper.
- Combine the cream cheese blend with the chicken, cheeses and veggies and stir.
- Wrap 3 tortillas in a paper towl and microwave for 30 seconds, just long enough to make the tortilla soft and easy to work with. Repeat with all tortillas, three at a time.
- Spoon roughly two tablespoons of filling into each tortilla and roll tightly.
- Place seam side-down on a baking sheet and lightly spray the tops with olive oil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tops begin to brown.