Baked Blueberry Donuts
Makes 12-18 donuts, depending on pan size
- 1/2 cup vegan granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup blueberries
Blueberry Glaze Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, thawed but not drained
- 1 1/2 cup vegan confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla almond milk
- To make the donuts, start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and coating your donut pan with oil or cooking spray (I used grapeseed oil).
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, applesauce, almond milk, grapeseed oil and vanilla.
- Gradually add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir until fully combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into a donut pan, filling each hole about 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tops of the donuts begin to brown.
- Remove the donuts from the oven and allow them to cool before removing them from the pan.
- Once the donuts are cool, it's time to make the glaze. Place the thawed blueberries in a large bowl and crush them with a spoon.
- Remove and discard the skins but keep the juice.
- Add in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and almond milk and stir until the ingredients combine to form a pretty purplish glaze.
- Drizzle, pour or brush the glaze over the donuts (or fully submerge the donuts in the glaze, that sounds fun) and devour!