Apple Pumpkin Brown Betty
- 1 2-3 lb sugar pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter substitute
- 1 cup cubed bread (preferably a vegan baguette)
- 2 Gala apples, diced into 1/2" pieces
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- sprinkle of sea salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice off the top of the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Keep the pumpkin top because you'll use it again for this recipe.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of vegan butter in a skillet.
- Add the bread and cook over low-medium heat until golden, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the skillet and place in a large bowl.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of vegan butter in the skillet.
- Add in the apples, brown sugar and raisins.
- Cook the apple mixture over low-medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the apple mixture to the bread and stir.
- Place the pumpkin in a small baking dish.
- Spoon the apple filling inside of the pumpkin.
- Place the top of the pumpkin back on.
- Boil a small pot of water (or microwave it) and fill the bottom of the baking dish with 1" of water.
- Place aluminum foil loosely over the pumpkin.
- Bake the pumpkin for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until the pumpkin is tender. My pumpkin was ready after just 2 hours and my oven is pretty old.
- Remove the foil and the pumpkin top, and bake the pumpkin for another 10 minutes.
- Transfer the pumpkin to a serving dish. I used a metal spatula to scoop the pumpkin out of the water and it worked really well. Be careful not to squeeze the sides of the pumpkin too hard, as it will dent.
- You can either drizzle the maple syrup over top of the pumpkin now, or you can drizzle the syrup over top of each serving after you've scooped it onto a plate or bowl.
- Scoop some of the pumpkin flesh out with each spoonful of apple mixture, and serve
It's even more delicious when served with vegan vanilla ice cream.