Russian Mafia


Physics: THE  RUSSIAN PROJECT

Write-Up: 

 

(Jaynell-a,b,c) 

 

    A)  The purpose of this contraption/invention is to create a Rube Goldberg Device to light a matchstick.

 

    B)  Throughout the Rube Goldberg Device potential energy occurs at the beginning of the device, starting at the metal lever that is holding the car in place. Kinetic energy is happening when the car is traveling down the ramp. Chemical energy happens within the battery and heat is then applied once the match is lit. To solve for kinetic energy you use the equation: KE=1/2mv  and to solve for potential energy you use the equation: PE=mgh. (Work Packet).

 

    C)  The energy transfer that is included within our Rube Goldberg Device is: kinetic, potential, chemical, and heat (thermal) energy. We are going to be using a data table to keep track of our energy transfers within this project. We are also going to be using equations to solve how much energy is being transferred.

 

(Trey-d)

 

    D) 

  •  Our first problem that we encountered was the fact that we were attaching the piece of wood to the board the wrong way, this was easily fixed by using screws.
  • The next problem occurred when we realized we had run all of our 9 volt batteries dead, fixed buy putting 6 AA batteries together.
  • We forgot we didn't have any tracks for the car, so we decided to improvise and use the toaster parts.
  • We were going to try to attach the rails with screws or nails, but we decided to use hot glue instead.
  • The pull pin to release the car took a while to work out, the first few we tried didn't work very well.  We finally found the right piece after some further experimentation.
  • On the due date of the project we ran into some problems with the batteries, but we managed to fix them and present our project with success.  We think the problem might have been related to leaving the batteries connected to the machine while not running. 

 

(Stephen-e,f)

 

    E)  The final version of our project was running perfect the build day but not  on actual test day due to faulty batteries. We found out earlier that the device burned through batteries easily and that might have been from too many test runs or from leaving the batteries connected. The device is extremely reliable with a constant source of power,but due to its energy need it would be wise to change the batteries every 15 runs or so. The construction of our device is steady and reliable,it will not break easily.


    F)  Although facing build challenges in the beginning due to a certain member thinking nails would work when he could have used screw. The final build was sturdy and performed extremely well. The first time we got to send the car down and hit the switch was a wonderful moment as it worked flawlessly and meant we could go home soon afterwards. We really liked how we could build the project ourselves and modify it to our needs. We would not suggest any changes to this project as it is a great learning experience in a fun way. Just being out of the classroom let us relax more. We enjoyed how we thought  of the project ourselves,It really let us explore the possibilities of what to do and to execute the idea.

 

 

Team Members:

     Jaynell F, Trey K, and Stephen S.

Pictures:

Everything you ever wanted in a car...

Running the Russian mechanical machine

  Sporting the gold hammer of Russia