- 8 oz. dried whole wheat or 50 percent whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14-1/2-oz. cans no-salt-added whole tomatoes with juice, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. drained capers
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Parmesan cheese, shaved
In a medium saucepan cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shrimp and garlic and cook until the shrimp are opaque throughout, about 4 minutes. Transfer the shrimp mixture to a bowl and set aside.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, capers, and red pepper flakes to the large pan. Bring to a simmer and cook 10 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Return the shrimp mixture to the pan and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Serve topped with shaved Parmesan cheese.
by The Savvy Kitchen