The History of St Osmund's Church, Osmington

The Church is dedicated to St. Osmund, Bishop of Salisbury and founder of the first Salisbury Cathedral in the 11th century, who also introduced the Sarum Missal. The walls of the Church are of squared local rubble. 

The West Tower is 15th century whilst most of the remainder of the Church was rebuilt in 1846 retaining the restored chancel arch, which had been built about 1200, and in the nave a North Arcade of around 1300 from which the south arcade was copied. 

In the tower are four bells. There is a coffin lid in the centre of the nave, near the entrance to the vestry, probably 14th century, with a cross in low relief. The font is dated abut 1200.

Osmington was at one time the seat of the Warham family. The Warham monument contains a shield of arms of Warham. 

A tablet on the east wall of the sanctuary commemorates a former Vicar, Archdeacon John Fisher. Fisher and John Constable were great friends, and in the latter part of 1816 Constable and his newly-married wife spent their honeymoon at Osmington Vicarage.

Six panels in a window on the south side of the Church were pieced together from the rubble of Abbeys, Cathedrals and Churches in France and Flanders, which were shelled during the First World War. This window is in memory of Robert and Margaret Hayne who preserved the fragments. 

This is an abridged version of the information available on To read the full information please visit