The History of Holy Trinity Church

Most of Holy Trinity Church is built in the Early English style, while Norman work can be seen in the Font and blocked up North Doorway.  

The font is made from Purbeck marble. In 1236 the Archbishop ordered that the covers should be secured to prevent the water being stolen for superstitious purposes. The font's rim retains traces of the fixings of this old cover. 

The Windows on the south side are examples of Perpendicular style. The window in memory of William and Susan Foot on the north side depicts Jesus as the Good shepherd and Light of the World.

The South Door, dated 1779, has the Churchwardens' initials W.L and W.M. on it. Beside it is the medieval Holy water stoop. The Chancel was extensively altered and the floor raised in 1862. All the furniture is also of that date.

The East Window is a memorial to Elizabeth, widow of John Howship, Surgeon. It depicts Jesus with Martha and Mary, and the raising of Jairus’s daughter. Below are the symbols of Jesus as Lamb of God and the Pelican 'vulning' or wounding herself to feed her young. This symbolises Christ, shedding his blood for our salvation

The Organ was originally installed in Broadwey Church in 1873 and moved to Bincombe in 1901. The larger bell, dated 1658, is by Thomas Purdue. The smaller one, dated 1594, is by John Wills of Salisbury and is inscribed 'FeareGod'. The Clock was installed as a thanksgiving for delivery and victory in WWII.

This is an abridged version of the information available on To read the full information please visit