KUTCH (Princely State)
(17 gun salute)
|AREA: 21,365 km2||PRIVY PURSE: 800,000R ||ACCESSION: 1st June 1948|
|STATE: Saurashtra ||DYNASTY: Jadeja ||RELIGION: Hindu|
|POPULATION: 512,084 (1892)|| ||CAPITAL: Bhuj |
| || || |
|PRESENT RULER: HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri PRAGMALJI MADANSINHJI III Sawai Bahadur [Prithvirajji] , 19th Maharao Saheb of Kutch since 21 June 1991. (The Palace, Bhuj, Kutch - 370001, Gujarat, India)|
|married 1957, Maharajkumari Priti Devi [HH Maharani Priti Devi of Kutch], daughter of Lt.-Col. HH Bisam-Samar-Bijayi Mahamahodya Pancha-Srijukta Maharaja Manikya Sir Bir Bikram Kishore Dev Varman Bahadur of Tripura.|
1. "The Golden Book of India"; LETHBRIDGE, Roper, MacMillan & Co., 1893 , p.274-277
|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: Predecessor state founded about 1255, and Kutch state was established by Jam Khengarji I, in 1548. His Highness the Maharao maintains a military force of 354 cavalry, 1412 infantry, and 164 guns, and is entitled to a salute of 1 7 guns (as of 1892). Rulers were... |
- Jam GAOJI, Jam Saheb 1255/1285
- Jam VAHENJI. Jam Saheb 1285/1321
- Jam MULVAJI, Jam Saheb 1321/1347
- Jam KAIYAJI, Jam Saheb 1347/1386
- Jam AMARJI, Jam Saheb 1386/1429
- Jam BHEENJI, Jam Saheb 1429/1472
- Rani Shivba Saheb, married Raja Adhan Dev Tomar of Kayasthapada (Dholpur)
- Jam HAMIRJI, Jam Saheb 1472/1535, married and had issue. He was murdered about 1535.
- Rao Khengarji I Hamirji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Aliaji Hamirji of Ramayan
- Kumar Shri Sahebji Hamirji, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Jasoji Sahebji of Vinjan
- Kumar Shri Hamirji Sahebji of Mothara
- Kumar Shri Panchanji Sahebji, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Devaji Panchanji of Ruva Sumri Roha.
- Kumar Shri Tamachiji Sahebji
- Kumar Shri Rayabji Hamirji
- Rao KHENGARJI I HAMIRJI, 1st Rao Saheb of Kutch 1548/1585 (Jam from 1535), born about 1510, married and had issue. He died 1585.
- Rao Bharmalji I Khengarji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Bhojrajji Khengarji, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Aliaji Bhojrajji of Kera Parganah.
Rao BHARMALJI I KHENGARJI, 2nd Rao Saheb of Kutch 1585/1631, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Jethiji Bharmalji
- Rao Bhojrajji Bharmalji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Meghji Bharmalji, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Khengarji Meghji, he succeeded as Rao Khengarji II Bhojrajji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Rayadhanji Bharmalji
- Kumar Shri Pragji Bharmalji
- Kumar Shri Asaji Bharmalji
- Kumar Shri Laghdirji Bharmalji
Rao BHOJRAJJI BHARMALJI, 3rd Rao Saheb of Kutch 1631/1645, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Ajoji Bhojrajji of Madi
- Rao Tamachiji Bhojrajji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Unadji Bhojrajji of Varsamedi
- Kumar Shri Abhairajji Bhojrajji of Chirai
- Kumar Shri Ramsinhji Bhojrajji of Bhachau
- Kumar Shri Sujoji Bhojrajji of Pakdasar
- Kumar Shri Kumbhoji Bhojrajji of Kumbhardi
Rao KHENGARJI II BHOJRAJJI, Rao Saheb of Kutch 1645/1654, born as Kumar Shri Khengarji Meghji, he was adopted by his uncle, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Hamirji Khengarji of Aniras
Rao TAMACHIJI BHOJRAJJI, 5th Rao Saheb of Kutch 1654/1662, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Hajoji Tamachiji of Dhamarka
- Rao Rayadhanji II Tamachiji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Hardholji Tamachiji
- Kumar Shri Kalyanji Tamachiji of Vadli
- Kumar Shri Meghji Tamachiji of Sagliyu
Rao RAYADHANJI II TAMACHIJI, 6th Rao Saheb of Kutch 1662/1697, married (amongst others), Rani Sajuba Sahiba, daughter of Raj Sahib Meghrajji II Amarsinhji of Dhrangadhra, and had issue. He died 1697.
- Maharao Pragmalji I Rayadhanji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Nanghanji Rayadhanji, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Haloji Nanghanji of Kothara
- Kumar Shri Sattoji Nanghanji of Nara
- Kumar Shri Devaji Nanghanji of Akri
- Kumar Shri Bharoji Nanghanji of Goniasar
- Kumar Shri Ravaji Rayadhanji, married and had issue.
- Thakur Sahib Kanyaji Ravaji, he consolidated Morvi.
- Kumar Shri Sujoji Rayadhanji of Tharahada
- Kumar Shri Jinoji Rayadhanji of Kera
- Kumar Shri Gopalji Rayadhanji of Faradi
- Kumar Shri Modji Rayadhanji of Gundara
- Kumar Shri Abhairajji Rayadhanji
Maharao PRAGMALJI I RAYADHANJI, 7th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1697/1715, married and had issue.
- Maharao Ghodaji I Pragmalji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Niranji Pragmalji of Godhra
- Kumar Shri Sagramji Pragmalji of Katariya
- Kumar Shri Karanji Pragmalji of Mankuva
- Kumar Shri Dudoji Pragmalji
Maharao GHODAJI I PRAGMALJI, 8th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1715/1718, married and had issue.
- Maharao Desalji I Ghodaji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Rayabhji Ghodaji of Khakhar.
- Kumar Shri Jiwanji Ghodaji of Ratadiya.
- Kumar Shri Hajoji Ghodaji of Patri.
- Kumar Shri Umroji Ghodaji of Gajod.
Maharao DESALJI I GHODAJI [Daishalji] (Desara Parmesara), 9th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1718/1741, born 1707, married (amongst others), Maharani Ratna Sahiba, daughter of Raj Sahib Jaswantsinhji Gajsinhji of Dhrangadhra, and had issue. He died 1741.
- Mirza Maharao Lakhpatji Desalji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Rayadhanji Desalji
Mirza Maharao LAKHPATJI DESALJI, 10th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1741/1760, married and had issue. He died 1760.
- Mirza Maharao Ghodaji II Lakhpatji (qv)
- Maharaj Mansinhji Lakhpatji of Dujapur.
- Maharaj Khanji Lakhpatji of Khanpar.
- Maharaj Sabalji Lakhpatji of Khirasra.
- Maharaj Jiwanji Lakhpatji of Desalpar.
- Maharaj Hajoji Lakhpatji of Jhakhau.
- Maharaj Umroji Lakhpatji of Trambuv.
Mirza Maharao GHODAJI II LAKHPATJI, 11th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1760/1778, married (amongst others), Maharani Shri Motiba Sahiba, daughter of Raj Sahib Raisinhji Pratapsinhji of Dhrangadhra, and his sixth wife, Rani Bajiba Sahiba, and had issue. He died 1778.
- Mirza Maharao Rayadhanji Ghodaji III (qv)
- Maharaj Prithvirajji Ghodaji Sahib [Bhaijibawa]
Mirza Maharao RAYADHANJI GHODAJI III, 12th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1778/1786, born 1764, died 1813.
FATEH MUHAMMED 1786/1813 (regent)
HUSAIN MIYAN 1813/1814 (regent)
Mirza Maharao BHARMALJI RAYADHANJI II, 13th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1814/1819 (deposed)
Mirza Maharao DESALJI BHARMALJI II [Daishalji], 14th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1819/1860, born 1816, married 1stly, Maharani Baijirajba Sahiba, daughter of Raj Sahib Amarsinhji Raisinhji of Dhrangadhra, and his seventh wife, Rani Ram Kunwarba Sahiba, married 2ndly, Maharani Rupaliba Sahiba, daughter of Raj Sahib Amarsinhji Raisinhji of Dhrangadhra, and his fourth wife, Rani Sahib Kunwarba Sahiba, and had issue. He died 26th July 1860.
- Mirza Maharao Pragmalji Desaji II (qv)
- Thakur Saheb Hamirji Desalji Sahib of Tera, married and had issue.
- Thakur Saheb Gagubha Hamirji Sahib of Tera (41 villages), married and had issue.
- Thakurani Jijiraj Ba Sahiba, married 1898 (as his fourth wife), Thakur Amar Sinhji of Namli in Madhya Pradesh.
- Thakur Saheb Jethisinhji Gagubha of Tera, married Kumari Shri Tara Kunwarba Sahiba, daughter of Kumar Shri Shivsinhji Govindsinhji of Hampar in Dhrangadhra, and his third wife, Kumari Shri Raj Kunwarba Sahiba, and had issue.
- Thakur Saheb Dr. Rudrasinhji Jethisinhji Jadeja of Tera, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot; married and had issue. He died 25th January 2003.
- Kumar Shri Mayurdhwajsinhji Rudrasinhji, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1985).
- Kumar Shri Narendrasinhji Jethisinhji, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1958).
- Kumar Shri Gajendrasinhji Jethisinhji, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1971).
- [?Thakur Saheb Nanubha Hamirji Sahib of Tera, married and had issue.
- Thakurani Manhar Kunwarba, married Col. Thakur Rajendra Sinhji of Namli, and had issue.]
Mirza Maharao PRAGMALJI DESALJI II G.C.S.I., 15th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1860/1876, born 1838, early on he showed himself anxious to improve the management of the State, he framed codes for the guidance of his officers in matters of civil and criminal justice, he undertook works of public usefulness, and introduced State systems of public instruction and of vaccination, in recognition of his excellent administration he was honoured with the title of Knight Grand Commander of the Star of India in 1871; he constructed important public works, e.g. the Albert Edward Breakwater and Harbour Works at Mandvi, the Alfred High School at Bhuj, the provincial centre of education, and the establishment of two "Rao Shri Pragmalji Scholarships" in the Elphinstone College, and two in Sir Jamsetji Jijibhai's School of Art, Bombay, he also constructed the Pragsar Tank, an immense reservoir of rain water in the Chadwa range of hills, and a causeway in the large Hamirsar tank, he also built the Jail, the Hospital, the Horse and Elephant Stables, and the Schools at Bhuj and Mandvi, he remitted transit duties, and occasionally remitted import duties in times of scarcity or deficient rainfall; married 1stly, 1854, Maharani Achuba Kunwarba Sahiba, daughter of HH Raj Sahib Ranmalji Amarsinhji ofDhrangadhra, and his first wife, HH Rani Jan Kunwarba Sahiba, married 2ndly, 1862, Maharani Karsan Kunwarba Sahiba [Krishna Kumari], daughter of HH Raj Sahib Ranmalji Amarsinhji of Dhrangadhra, and had issue. He died 1st January 1876.
- HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri Sir Khengarji Pragmalji III Sawai Bahadur (qv)
- Maharaj Kumar Kalyansinhji Pragmalji Saheb, born 1870, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot, he was created a Companion of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire in 1887, married in March 1889, a Princess of Aramda in Okha, Kathiawar.
- Kumari Bairajba [HH Maharani Sahiba of Bikaner], married 187x, HH Maharaja Shri Dungar Singhji of Bikaner.
HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri Sir KHENGARJI PRAGMALJI III Sawai Bahadur G.C.I.E., 16th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1876/1942, born 23rd August 1866, on 11th August 1884, having attained his majority of eighteen years of age, he was invested with full ruling powers, formally installed on 14th November 1884, he was granted the title of Sawai Bahadur on 2nd March 1885 as a hereditary distinction, he was created a Knight Grand Commander of the Indian Empire (G.C.I.E.) in 1887, and a Knight Grand Commander of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of India (G.C.S.I.) in 1917, he enjoys a local gun salute of 19, Member of the Standing Committe of Indian Princes' Chamber, he evinced a deep interest in education, and especially in the education of women, by founding a Sanskrit school or Pathshala, the Fergusson Museum and Library at Bhuj, as well as a number of scholarships for both male and female students, he made considerable improvements in public works, including the extension of roads, the pier and reclamation works, and the erection of new buildings; well irrigation, and other means of irrigation have also been adopted, strenuous efforts have also been made in the direction of reclamation of waste land and fifteen new villages have been established; married simultaneously on 19th February 1884 in a joint ceremony (#1), HH Maharani Motiba Saheb, daughter of the Thakur Sahib of Sayla, married simultaneously on 19th February 1884 in a joint ceremony, HH Maharani Gangaba Saheb, daughter of Raj Rana Jalamsinhji of Charadva in Dhrangadhra, and had issue. He passed away on 15th January 1942.
- HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri Vijayarajji Khengarji Sawai Bahadur [Madhubha] (qv)
- Kumar Shri Godji Khengarji Saheb [Manubha], born 12th September 1888 (#1), he received an appanage in the villages of Chasra and Mokha in the Taluka of Mundra in Kutch; married Rani Roop Kunwarba Saheba, daughter of Maharaj Jai Singh of Bambolia, and his wife, Rani Jadav Kunwar, and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Zorawarsinhji Godji, married Rani Pushpawali Kunwar, daughter of Rajkumar Pratap Singh, Yuvaraj Saheb of Banera, and had issue, three sons and one daughter.
- Kumar Shri Ghanshyamsinhji Zorawarsinhji, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1961); married Baijilal Shobha Kumari, daughter of Thakur Prithviraj Singh of Bidwal, and his wife, Thakurani Shrimant Daulat Kunwarji, and has issue.
- Kunwar Adityasinhji Ghanshyamsinhji, educated at Daly College and at Simbiosis College, Puna (B.Com.)
- Kunwar Raghuvirsinhji Jorawarsinhji, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1965).
- Kunwar Devendrasinhji Jorawarsinhji, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1968).
- Kumar Shri Narpatsinhji Godji
- Kumar Shri Naharsinhji Godji, married Rani Shyamlata Kumari of Rajpipla, sp.
- HH Maharani Dilhar Kumari, born 30th January 1925 in Bhuj, married 19th May 1943, HH Maharana Sahib Devi Singhji of Barwani, and had issue. She died 18th August 2007.
- Kumar Shri Dilipsinhji Godji, born 16th August 1927, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1947); married in Kutch, Rani Saheba Narendra Kumari, born 16th September 1934, died 23rd October 2000, daughter of Maharaj Virbhadra Singh of Dungarpur, and his wife, Rani Tej Kunwar, and has issue.
- Rajkumari Veena Kumari, born 25th July 1954, married 22nd January 1976, Kunwar Abhimanyu Singh of Churhat, born 15th January 1950, and has issue.
- Kunwar Abhijeet Singh, born 19th July 1978.
- Baiji Lal Aradhana Kumari, born 15th January 1985.
- Rajkumari Mandakini Kumari, born 12th June 1959, married 10th July 1988 (div. 24th March 2000), Kumar Shri Ajayveersinh Ghanshyamsinh Chapotkat of Mansa, born 30th September 1958, and has issue, one son.
- Kumar Shri Jayvardhan Sinh Chapotkat, born 26th October 1990.
- Kunwar Devrajsinhji Dilipsinhji, born 11th August 1960, married 5th May 1992, Kunwarani Jaylakshmi Devi, daughter of HH Thakore Sahib Shri Kedarendradevsinhji Surendrasinhji of Wadhwan, and his wife, HH Thakorani Saheb Jayshree Kumari, and has issue.
- Baiji Lal Malavika Kumari, born 7th September 1993.
- Baiji Lal Ambika Kumari, born 28th March 2001.
- Maharajkumar Lakhubha Khengarji Sahib, died young.
- Maharajkumari Kesaba Saheb [HH Maharani Saheb of Kotah], married 17th April 1897 at Bhuj, Colonel HH Maharao Shri Umaid Singhji II ofKotah.
- Maharajkumari (name unknown) [HH Maharani Saheb of Ratlam], married 29th June 1902, Col. HH Maharaja Sir Sajjan Singhji Bahadur ofRatlam.
- Maharajkumari Takhat Kunverba Saheb [HH Maharani Saheb of Sirohi], married HH Maharajadhiraj Maharao Sir Sarup Ram Singhji ofSirohi.
HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri VIJAYARAJJI KHENGARJI Sawai Bahadur [Madhubha], 17th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1942/1948, born 2nd September 1885, married 6th March 1907, HH Maharani Shri Padmakunwar Ba Sahiba, daughter of HH Maharao Kesari Singhji Bahadur of Sirohi, and had issue. He passed away on 26th February 1948.
- Yuvaraj Shri Madansinhji Vijayarajji Sawai Bahadur, he succeeded as HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri Madansinhji Vijayarajji Sawai Bahadur of Kutch (qv)
- Maharajkumar Sahib Natwarsinhji Vijayrajji, died young.
- Maharajkumar Shri Fatehsinhji Vijayrajji Jadeja, married and has issue.
- Rani Virendra Kumari, born 12th December 1940, married Brig. Shri V. P. Singhji Saheb.
- Rani Raj Vijayraj Kumari, born 21st December 1942, married 15th May 1972, Maharaj Shri Arvind Singhji of Udaipur, and has issue.
- Maharajkumar Shri Himmatsinhji Vijayrajji Jadeja, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1947); married Kaurani Sahiba Padmini Kunverba, died 4th December 2006 at Kutch, daughter of HH Maharana Raj Saheb Pratapsinhji Amarsinhji of Wankaner, and his wife, HH Maharani Rama Kunver, and has issue.
- Rani Bharati Kunwarba, married Maharaj Mahijit Singh of Jhalawar, and has issue.
- Maharajkumari Raj Kunverba Saheb [HH Maharani Hansa Kumari of Sant], married HH Maharana Shri Pravinsinhji Jorawarsinhji of Sant, and had issue.
- Maharajkumari Dev Kunverba Saheb [HH Rani Saheba of Narsinghgarh], married June 1929, HH Raja Shri Sir Vikram Singhji Sahib ofNarsingharh.
- Maharajkumari Pravin Kunverba Saheb [HH Maharani Saheb of Rewah], married 1943, HH Maharajah Martand Singhji of Rewah.
HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri MADANSINGHJI VIJAYRAJJI Sawai Bahadur [Meghrajji], 18th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1948/1991, born 12th October 1909 in Bhuj, married HH Maharani Rajendra Kunverba, daughter of Lt.-Col. HH Umdae Rajhae Buland Makan Maharajadhiraja Maharaja Sir Madan Singhji Bahadur of Kishangarh, and had issue. He passed away on 21st June 1991 in London.
- HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri Pragmalji Madansinhji III Sawai Bahadur [Prithvirajji] (qv)
- Maharaj Kumar Sahib Bhupatsinhji Madansinhji Jadeja
- Maharaj Kumari Sahiba Nanda Kumari, married 16th May 1976, Rajkumar Birendra Singhji, son of Rao Sahib Udaya Singhji of Patan.
- Maharaj Kumar Sahib Hanuwantsinhji Madansinhji Jadeja, married Maharajkumari Rohini Devi, daughter of Lt. HH Maharaja Raol Shri Sir Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavsinhji of Bhavnagar, and his wife, HH Maharani Vijayba Sahiba, and has issue.
- Kumar Shri Satyajitsinhji Hanuwantsinhji Jadeja
- Kumar Shri Pratapsinhji Hanuwantsinhji Jadeja, born 3rd March 1972 in Bombay, Graduate, educated at Jamnabai Narsee School, Bombay; Junior National Gold Medalist in the High Jump; married 12th March 1993 in Bombay, Kumari Shalini Kumari of Ramgarh Pachwara, and has issue, two sons and one daughter.
- Kumar Shri Anirudhsinhji Pratapsinhji Jadeja, presently (2008) studying at Rajkumar College, Rajkot;
- Kumari Shri Trishulinikumari Pratapsinhji Jadeja, presently (2008) studying at Mayo College, Girl's School, Ajmer;
- Kumar Shri Meghdeepsinhji Pratapsinhji Jadeja
- Maharaj Kumari Sahiba Brijraj Kumari, married Rajkumar Raj Sinh of Sitamau, and has issue.
HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri PRAGMALJI MADANSINHJI III Sawai Bahadur, 19th Maharao Saheb of Kutch (see above)