(Makes 2 Servings)Ingredients:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp red pepper/cayenne
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 14.5 oz. can coconut milk
- 7 leaves fresh basil, (3 minced 4 halved)
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, minced fine
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 tbsp canola oil
- In a small bowl mix together all of the dry spices.
- In a separate bowl, mix together: 1 cup coconut milk, cornstarch,
honey, garlic, minced basil, 1 1/2 tbsp minced ginger, and about half of
the spice blend from the other bowl.
- Cut chicken into small strips and place in a baking dish. Pour half
of the coconut milk mixture over the chicken evenly. Marinate in the
refrigerator for 1-2 hours. The sauce firmed up nicely after chilling
for a while.
- Heat 2 tbsp canola oil in a saute pan. Add yellow onion and the
rest of the minced ginger until onion is soft (about 5 minutes). In the
same pan, heat 2 more tbsp canola oil. Add the chicken marinade and
cook for several minutes on each side.
- In a large saucepan cook the rice, and stir in the broccoli and the
rest of the spices. Add about 1/2 cup coconut milk, and any left over
milk/spice mixture into the pan. Stir in the rest of the basil pieces
and set aside. The rice should be sticky and moist from the sauce.
- Combine all ingredients.