Adapted from Bon Appétit | April 2009 by Abigail Johnson Dodge
- 3 cups fresh blueberries or frozen, thawed (13 to 14 ounces), divided
- 2/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- Pinch of salt
Combine 11/2 cups blueberries and all remaining ingredients in medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to simmer, about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until berries are very soft and liquid is syrupy, stirring often, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat; add remaining blueberries. Using back of spoon, gently press fresh blueberries against side of pan until lightly crushed.
- 1 cup (packed) powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons (or more) fresh lemon Juice
Combine powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in small bowl. Stir with spoon until smooth and paste-like, adding more lemon juice by 1/2 teaspoonfuls if glaze is too thick to spread. Set aside.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Place cupcake cups into pan. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl; whisk to blend. Whisk buttermilk, eggs, lemon peel, and vanilla in small bowl. Pour buttermilk mixture and melted butter into flour mixture. Using rubber spatula, gently fold liquids into flour mixture until just blended (do not stir).
Fill cupcake cups halfway with batter, dollop 1/2 tsp of blueberry filling, Top off cupcake cups with batter.
Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean and cake pulls away from sides of pan, about 30 minutes.
Imediately remove cupcakes using a spoon. Place on cooling rack . Stir glaze until blended. While cupcakes are still very hot, drop glaze by tablespoonfuls onto cupcakes; spread to within 1/2 inch of edge (some glaze may drip down sides of cupcakes). Cool completely. Serve