makes about 16 rolls
For the rolls
For the icing
1. Cut shortening into flour until it resembles meal. Stir in enough buttermilk until dough leaves side of bowl (I used about a 1/4-1/2 cup).
2. Place dough on a well-floured surface and knead a few times.
3. Roll out dough into a rectangle (about 10x20-inch) about 3/8-1/2 inch thick. Soften the butter to spreading consistency. Spread over the surface of the dough.Spread the brown sugar over the butter and sprinkle with cinnamon.
4. Roll up the dough along the long edge; I used a bench scraper (like this one) to help lift it off the counter and help prevent sticking. Pinch the edge of the dough to seal.
5. Cut the dough into 3/4-inch slices. Place the rolls (touching) on a greased cookie sheet. (I used two cake pans for mine). Bake at 425 degrees until lightly browned.
6. Meanwhile, mix the powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla with enough cream to make the glaze. Spread the glaze over hot rolls and serve immediately.