makes one 9x13 pan
For the Brownies
For the Buttercream
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray baking pan with nonstick spray.
2. Melt the butter in saucepan over medium heat. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa, espresso and salt.
3. Pour the melted butter over the cocoa mixture and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add the vanilla, and the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each egg; batter will be very thick.
4. Stir in the flour, just until moistened, then the chocolate chips. Spread evenly into pan.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist, sticky crumbs clinging to it. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting or the buttercream will melt on the hot brownies.
6. To make the frosting, place the butter in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat the butter for one minute.
7. With the mixer on low, add the powdered sugar and meringue powder until moistened. Add the peppermint extract and the milk and whip on high speed until very light and fluffy.
8. Stir in the chopped mints and spread frosting over the brownies.
Recipe from Curly Girl Kitchen