The kids love these! There is lots of hidden goodness in these yummy treats:)
• 2 cups oats (not instant)
• 1 cup flour (I use gluten-free or KA white whole wheat)
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• ¼ tsp cinnamon
• ¼ tsp salt
• 19-oz can organic white kidney or navy beans, rinsed and drained
• ¼ cup non-hydrogenated margarine (Earth Balance)
• 1 cup packed brown sugar or Sucanat
• 1 large egg
• 1 tsp vanilla
• ½ cup chocolate chips (I use Sunspire)
• ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries (no sugar added)
• ¼ - ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
• 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
• Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place oats in a food processor and pulse until it resembles coarse
flour. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and
process until combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
3. Put beans
into the food processor and pulse until puréed. Add margarine, brown
sugar, egg and vanilla and pulse until smooth, scraping down the sides
of the bowl.
4. Pour bean mixture into oat mixture and stir by
hand until almost combined; add chocolate chips, raisins/cranberries,
nuts and flaxseed and stir just until blended.
5. Spread the
batter into a 9- by 13-inch pan that has been sprayed with cooking
spray. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden around the edges. Cool
in the pan before cutting into bars. Yum!
Nutrients per serving:
Total Fat: 7.1 g
Carbohydrates: 50 g
Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 7 g