|KEYS TO BIBLE SYMBOLS|
Why cloak Bible prophecies in Symbols?
Luke 8 :10 And He said, "To you it has been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest it is given in parables, that 'Seeing they may not see, And hearing they may not understand.'
Many of the apocalyptic prophecies were given while the prophets were in a hostile foreign land. One reason God cloaked the prophecies in symbols was to protect the messages.
Animals and their Parts
- Horse = Strength and Power in Battle Job 39:19, Psalms 147:10, Proverbs 21:31
- Dragon = Satan or his agency Isaiah 27:1;30:6, Psalm 74:13-14; Rev. 12:7-9;Ezekiel 29:3; Jeremiah 51:34
- Beast = Kingdom/government/political power Daniel 7:17, 23
- Lamb = Jesus/sacrifice John 1:29; 1 Corinthians 5:7
- Lion = Jesus/Powerful King i.e. Babylon Rev. 5:4-9, Jer. 50:43-44, Dan. 7:4,17,23
- Bear = Destructive Power / Medo Persia Proverbs 28:15, 2 Kings 2:23-24, Daniel 7:5
- Leopard = Greece Daniel 7:6
- Serpent = Satan Revelation 12:9; 20:2
- Tongue = Language / Speech Exodus 4:10
- Wolf = Disguised Enemies that hunt in a time of darkness Matthew 7:15
- Dove = Holy Spirit Mark 1:10
- Ram = Medo Persia Daniel 8:20
- Goat = Greece Daniel 8:21
- Horn = King or kingdom Daniel 7:24; 8:5, 21, 22; Zechariah 1:18, 19; Revelation 17:12
- Wings = Speed / Protection / Deliverance Deuteronomy 28:49, Matthew 23:37
Metals, Elements, and Natural Objects
- Gold = Pure Character Precious and Rare Isaiah 13:12
- Silver = Pure Words & Understanding Proverbs 2:4, 3:13-14, 10:20, 25:11, Psalms 12:6
- Brass, Tin, Iron, Lead, Silver dross = Impure Character Ezekiel 22:20-21
- Water = Holy Spirit / Everlasting Life John 7:39, 4:14, Rev. 22:17, Eph. 5:26
- Waters = Inhabited area/people, nations Revelation 17:15
- Fire = Holy Spirit Luke 3:16
- Tree = Cross; People / Nation Deut. 21:22-23, Psalm 92:12, 37:35
- Seed = Descendents / Jesus Romans 9:8, Galatians 3:16
- Fruit = Works / Actions Galatians 5:22
- Fig Tree = A Nation that should bear fruit Luke 13:6-9
- Vineyard = Church that should bear fruit Luke 20:9-16
- Field = World Matthew 13:38, John 4:35
- Harvest = End of World Matthew 13:39
- Reapers = Angels Matthew 13:39
- Thorns / Thorny Ground = Cares of this life Mark 4:18-19
- Stars = Angels/messengers = Revelation 1:16, 20; 12:4, 7-9; Job 38:7
- Jordan = death Romans 6:4, Deuteronomy 4:22
- Mountains = Political or religio-political powers Isaiah 2:2, 3; Jeremiah 17:3; 31:23;51:24, 25; Ezekiel 17:22, 23; Daniel 2:35, 44, 45
- Rock = Jesus/truth 1 Corinthians 10:4; Isaiah 8:13, 14; Romans 9:33; Matthew 7:24
- Sun = Jesus/the gospel Psalm 84:11; Malachi 4:2; Matthew 17:2; John 8:12; 9:5
- Winds = Strife/commotion/"winds of war"Jeremiah 25:31-33; 49:36, 37; 4:11-13;Zechariah 7:14
- Lamp = Word of God Psalm 119:105
- Oil = Holy Spirit Zechariah 4:2-6; Revelation 4:5
- Sword = Word of God Ephesians 6:17; Hebrews 4:12
- Bread = Word of God John 6:35, 51, 52, 63
- Wine = blood/covenant/doctrines Luke 5:37
- Honey = happy life Ezekiel 20:6, Deuteronomy 8:8-9
- Clothing = Character Isaiah 64:6, Isaiah 59:6
- Crown = A Glorious Ruler or Rulership Proverbs 16:31, Isaiah 28:5, Isaiah 62:3
- Ring = Authority Genesis 41:42-43, Esther 3:10-11
- Angel = Messenger Daniel 8:16; 9:21; Luke 1:19, 26; Hebrews 1:14
- Babylon = apostasy/confusion/rebellion Gen. 10:8-10; 11:6-9; Rev. 18:2, 3; 17:1-5
- Mark = Sign or seal of approval or disapproval Ezekiel 9:4; Romans 4:11;Revelation 13:17; 14:9-11; 7:2, 3
- Seal = Sign or mark of approval or disapproval Romans 4:11; Revelation 7:2, 3
- White Robes = Victory/righteousness Revelation 19:8; 3:5; 7:14
- Jar / Vessel = Person Jermiah 18:1-4, 2 Corinthians 4:7
- Time = 360 Day Daniel 4:16, 23, 25, 32; 7:25; Daniel 11:13 margin
- Times = 720 Days Daniel 7:25, Revelation 12:6,14, 13:5
- Day = Literal year Ezekiel 4:6; Numbers 14:34
- Trumpet = loud warning of God's approach Exodus 19:16-17, Joshua 6:4-5
Actions, Activities, and Physical States
People and Body Parts
- Woman, Pure = True Church Jeremiah 6:2; 2 Corinthians 11:2; Ephesians 5:23-27
- Woman, Corrupt = Apostate church Ezk. 16:15-58; 23:2-21; Hos. 2:5; 3:1; Rev. 14:4
- Thief = Suddenness of Jesus' coming 1 Thessalonians 5:2-4; 2 Peter 3:10
- Hand = Deeds / Works / Actions Ecclesiastes 9:10, Isaiah 59:6
- Forehead = Mind Deuteronomy 6:6-8, Romans 7:25; Ezekiel 3:8, 9
- Feet = Your Walk / Direction Genesis 19:2, Psalm 119:105
- Eyes = Spiritual Discernment Matthew 13:10-17, 1 John 2:11
- Skin = Christ's righteousness Exodus 12:5, 1 Peter 1:19, Isaiah 1:4-6
- Harlot = Apostate church/religion Isaiah 1:21-27; Jeremiah 3:1-3; 6-9
- Heads = Major powers/rulers/governments Revelation 17:3, 9, 10
|BIBLE PROPHECY CHARTS|
The Bible was designed to be a guide to all who wish to become acquainted with the will of their Maker. God gave to men the sure word of prophecy; angels and even Christ Himself came to make known to Daniel and John the things that must shortly come to pass. Those important matters that concern our salvation were not left involved in mystery.
They were not revealed in such a way as to perplex and mislead the honest seeker after truth. Said the Lord by the prophet Habakkuk, "Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it." The word of God is plain to all who study it with a prayerful heart. Every truly honest soul will come to the light of truth. "Light is sown for the righteous."
|THE 70 WEEK OR 490 YEAR PROPHECY|
Scripture: Dan. 9:25
Christ had come at the exact time and in the manner foretold by prophecy. The testimony of Scripture had been fulfilled in every detail of His ministry. He had preached the message of salvation, and "His word was with power." The hearts of His hearers had witnessed that it was of Heaven. The word and the Spirit of God attested the divine commission of His Son.
(Click on this Bible Prophecy chart to see the additional detail, i.e. the stoning of Stephen in AD 34 and the going forth of the Gospel to the Gentiles.)
Learn More about this Prophecy
|THE 1260 DAY PROPHECY CHART|
Scriptures: Daniel 7:25, Daniel 12:7, Revelation 11:2, Revelation 11:3, Revelation 12:6, Revelation 12:14, Revelation 13:5
This 1260 day time period is referred to 7 times in the Bible's prophecies; three times as a time, times, and half a time; twice as 42 months; and twice as 1,260 days.
Based on the 30-day calendar used by the Jews, these time periods are all the same amount of time: 3 1/2 years = 42 months = 1,260 days.
One prophetic day equals one literal year (Ezekiel 4:6; Numbers 14:34).
Thus a terrible persecution of God's people would exist for 1,260 prophetic days or 1,260 literal years.
|THE 2300 DAY PROPHECY CHART|
Scripture: Dan. 8:14 In the eighth chapter of Daniel is recorded the longest prophecy in the Bible. In vision, Daniel sees creatures that symbolize nations which would eventually rule the world.
Next, Daniel see horns, and a little horn that would grow in power and would even magnify itself against the Lord Jesus Christ, the "Prince of princes."
After seeing the ram, goat, and horns, Daniel hears that this vision will take 2300 days to be completed and covers events during the "time of the end." Daniel then begins to seek for the meaning.
The angel Gabriel is instructed to make Daniel "understand the vision" and proceeds to explain to Daniel that the creatures/beasts that he saw represented the nations that would soon rule the world.
The Ram with two horns represented the kingdoms of Media and Persia. The "rough goat" and "great horn" represented the kingdom of Greece and it's first great leader Alexander the Great. (See Daniel 8:20-21)
God opened to Daniel's view the rise and fall of coming world empires 100's of years in advance. Today, history bears record that everything has happened as God had shown His prophet. Can we trust that the remaining Bible prophecies will be fulfilled as God indicated? Can we trust God's promises and should we take heed to God's warnings? YES, ABSOLUTELY!