From The Culinary Couple | Source Paula Deen
Ingredients for Casserole
- 1 loaf French bread
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Dash salt
Ingredients for Praline Topping
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 Tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Slice French bread into 20 slices, about 1 inch each. Arrange slices
in a generously buttered (or sprayed with non-stick baking spray) 9×13
baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla,
cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt, and beat or whisk until blended,
but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over bread slices, making sure all are
covered evenly with mixture.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350° F. Bake for 25 minutes.
- While baking, prepare praline topping (combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well).
- Remove baking dish from oven and spread topping evenly over bread.
- Return to oven and bake 15-20 more minutes, or until custard is absorbed and casserole is puffed and golden.
- Let cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.