From The Culinary Couple | Source: Lara Ferroni
Makes 6 doughnuts.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain salt
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon buttermilk
- Lightly grease a doughnut pan, and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Then whisk in the sugar, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add the butter, and using your fingers or a pastry blender, rub it into the dry ingredients until it becomes crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, yogurt, vanilla,
and egg. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, and stir until
just combined. Do not overmix, or your doughnuts will be rubbery.
- Fill each cup of the doughnut pan 1/2 to 3/4 full. You can do this
with a spoon, a piping bag, or a plastic bag with a hole cut into the
- Bake for 6 to 10 minutes (depending on the size of your doughnut
pan), until the doughnuts spring back when touched. Let them cool
slightly on a wire rack before glazing.
- For the glaze: Combine 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon
buttermilk. Add more buttermilk, if necessary, in small amounts until a
smooth paste forms. Drizzle onto warm doughnuts and serve.