1 c. unsalted butter
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. plain yogurt
24 chewy salted caramels
the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook several minutes until
it starts to turn golden, whisk for about a minute, then remove from the
heat. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl to blend.
an electric mixer, beat the browned butter and sugars until well
combined. Add the whole egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and yogurt and beat
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Scoop about a tablespoon of dough into the palm of your hand and flatten it.
- Place a caramel in the center.
another tablespoon of dough on top and seal all edges to be sure the
caramel stays inside, then shape into a ball and place on a baking
- Continue with remaining dough and caramels, spacing the balls a couple inches apart on the baking sheet.
about 10 minutes, until the edges are golden. Let cool several minutes
on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.