Inspired by Bakerella
Makes about 65 truffles
3 dozen hideously ugly chocolate cupcakes (or 1 chocolate cake, unfrosted)
1 16-ounce tub of store-bought chocolate frosting
1 1/2 lbs chocolate bark candy coating
Chocolate sprinkles for decorating
1. Ruin a perfectly good batch of chocolate cupcakes. Make sure they're humpbacked, missing chunks, and overall just really, really ugly.
2. Rip those ugly cupcakes (or cake) to shreds. Seriously. Tear them all apart until they're nothing but crumbs.
3. Dump an entire tub of frosting into the bowl of crumbs and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until all the crumbs are moist and hold together.
4. Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, scoop out crumb mixture and roll into balls in your hand. Place on cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Repeat until all crumb mixture is used. Freeze cookie sheets for an hour.
5. Melt chocolate bark in a small, but deep heatproof bowl or coffee mug in microwave, 30 seconds at a time, stirring the chocolate until it is all melted and smooth.
6. Removing only a few balls from the freezer at a time, spear one with a toothpick and dip into chocolate until it is completely coated. You may have to use a spoon to dump some chocolate along the top to cover completely. Lifting the ball out of the chocolate, rotate slowly above the bowl, letting the excess drip off back into the rest of the chocolate.
7. Place coated ball on a new cookie sheet lined with waxed paper. Pull toothpick from top, and coat hole with a tiny bit of melted chocolate to hide the gash. Top with chocolate sprinkles for decoration. Repeat with remaining balls. Reheat bowl of chocolate when it starts to thicken.
8. Once all balls have been coated, return to the freezer for about 15 minutes to set. Remove and let come to room temperature before serving.
Brought to you by The Busty Baker (http://www.bustybaker.com)
Original Post: http://ladolcivita.blogspot.com/2009/07/triple-chocolate-cake-truffles.html
Back to Recipe Home Page